• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lower unit blues.

jmg

Since my lower unit lube had milky, caramel streaks in it last Fall, when I changed it, I'm thinking I probably got taken when I bought the motor, due to the fact that the lower unit paint color is not quite like the upper part. of the motor. 30hp Evinrude '97 model. Otherwise, it starts real easy(elec.start) and runs well. So I guess I will need to take it in and have the seals replaced and then I suppose I should have a new impeller put in, as well. Not good timing, since I was a victim of "downsizing" at work and so far, haven't connected with a new position. I was hoping to be able to get by this season without having all this work done by changing the fluid regularly. Would that work or is it too risky? Boat is usually used on smaller waters-maybe up to 3,000 acres or so-usually 400-800 acres and not used that often.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? If I do need to have the lower unit fixed, about how much would that cost? Don't want to surprize my wife too much right now. Will appreciate any ideas. Wishing everyone a great weekend.

How often do you use it? What if you had to put new lube in every trip or two?

Or, what does an outfit like twin cities outboard get for a used lower unit? or the electronic bay.

The cheapest possibility is that one of the gaskets for the fill/drain plugs is bad. I would try that first. Only a few bucks to replace.

......& from what I know (have read & been told) its really only any issue for winterization so that any moisture in the oil does not freeze, expand, & crack the lower unit. If u keep checking & replacing oil then properly winterize it with new oil and all moisture gone, and possibly store in heated area, it should be manageable for a while I think.

Since money is real tight for you right now.( been there too!) I would change the oil and run the motor a few times to see if you do have a problem, or as Del said, or the motor has sat a while . ( some times you will get condensation too). The oil may look good . But, if the oil is still milky! If the unit IS leaking; you do run the risk of bad oil effecting the bearings!!

And spend a couple bucks and buy new gaskets for the drain/fill. I mentioned that as an afterthought because I had water in the lower unit oil once on my kicker. Went to FF and picked up a couple gaskets and it was fixed.

Thanks, Bruce and to everyone else for your input. Just acquired new gaskets so that will be the first try. Are there certain brands of lower unit lube that handle small amounts of water better than others? I realize it needs to be a marine lube, but just wondering about brands. Also, same question about wheel bearing lubes. I was once told never to mix brands of lubes because they were all incompatible with each other and it will cause a breakdown of the lube and ruin the bearings. Any truth to that? Seems like when I need lube, I can never remember what brand I last used or even if I remember, it might not be available. Enjoy the great day!