• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Car Audio

Just purchased a 2012 Ford Escape. It will fit my current needs with the exception of I am not at all impressed with sound system. This is the first vehicle I've had in about 10 years which didn't have upgraded/premium factory sound (Bose or JBL)and perhaps I'm spoiled. I haven't screwed around with switching speakers/units since I was a punk teenager putting in a cassette deck with "automatic skip" and "noise reduction" features - those were the days! Anyone done this recently and have recommendations? I'm wondering if the factory units have sufficient power that I can just switch speakers and be happy? If not, would adding an amp to the factory unit be suffient or would people recommend gutting the whole thing. I can't see spending more than $1000 to upgrade this including installation. I would hope I could get good sound for that range - but if I'm wrong, feel free to crush my hopes. Also, recommendations for brands that worked for you? Disclaimer: I'm not looking to pimp my ride and be one of those guys that rattles your windows at stoplights. I just want good, clean sound as it makes a huge difference for my enjoyment of driving/listening to music.

Start with a new(er) head unit and go from there. I just installed a pioneer CD player with AUX input for my iphone that i find powers my factory speakers pretty well (52 watts X 4) in my Buick. I also added a sub and amp that i got free and i can have all the windows down at 60mph and still hear the music clearly with a little more headroom to go with the volume. I've always found that for me, just upping the wattage from the reciver is enough. Check kregslist you dot need to spend much at all.

Thanks for the advise. I stopped by Best Buy and spoke to one of their techs who was very helpful. The one thing I'm struggling with is whether to add the sub or not. I don't doubt that it will make everything sound better. But I'm worried about losing cargo space where my fishing gear is supposed to go! They've been able to shrink a computer down to a Iphone size, but a subwoofer still has to take up half your trunk :-(.

I stopped upgrading factory speakers long ago. I just put in a decent head unit but most importantly I always put in a small amp and sub somewhere. It doesn't need to take up much space and doesn't need to thump like a ghetto cruiser. However, it makes everything sound better when you aren't trying to crank the stereo to hear the bass. McCartney and John Paul Jones sound outstanding with a 8" or 10" sub bringing out the sound. The factory speakers can usually put out the mid- and -high ranges just fine for 90% of listeners.

if you have sync and want to use it, or an aux in. it wont work with an aftermarket radio.

At the shop we have installed some aftermarket speakers with some decent results.

if you have the style of radio that is integral to the air conditioning controls you may have a hard time. if you have the old double din style it may be easier.

BigDog - yep, I have the SYNC and because of that, I'm going to keep the same head unit. The guys at Best Buy said that was the best thing to do as it would get real expensive to switch that out and I would lose steering wheel controls. I plan on replacing all four speakers (still deciding which brand). The guys at Best Buy recommended adding tweeter speakers which I guess they can hide above the dash. Then an amp and a Sub and it should be a lot better. The whole setup including installation will run me just under $1000. I won't take good sound for granted again! I guess I look at it this way...assume I keep the car for three years, that's less than a dollar a day for good sound. And less than that if I keep it longer.

There are some compact options out there for subs. Mtx makes vehicle specific ones with built in amps to save space.(mtx thunderform) I believe there are others that are meant to fit under seats of vehicles too.

Sherpa - thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check that out. That's the one thing that was bugging me was knowing a sub would take up so much space. I'm always using my cargo space for fishing gear/golf clubs/mountain bike etc. So ideally, I wouldn't want to have to keep unplugging/removing my sub each weekend to make space for those things. The Escape isn't really that big, so any space I can save would be great. I'm probably going to make my final upgrade selections next week - so good timing!