• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rum river open

As I drove over the Sauk River today, which is not open in the slower portions, I was wondering the same thing about the Rum. Would be nice to get a paddle in up there.

I'd guess it isn't open, but that's a w.a.g.

I think I will check it out next week. The creek by my house is open maybe I will give that a go for now.

Not a problem at all if you manage to stay out of it. smile

I don't always manage such things, though. I was putzing around on the Sauk River a few years ago in March and got caught in a strainer. I made it out, but I had a pretty good case of hypothermia. Scary stuff.

Not a problem at all if you manage to stay out of it. smile

I don't always manage such things, though. I was putzing around on the Sauk River a few years ago in March and got caught in a strainer. I made it out, but I had a pretty good case of hypothermia. Scary stuff.

strainers are scary

It can ... So you are basically saying that if you make a mistake in the river you are automatically dead? I would say statistically cars are more dangerous. Everything has risks, I have been in my kayak in the dead of winter for small mouth yes people have died but its not going to stop me. Did you come in here to try yo scold me?

I happened to be reading the forum and decided to be a good citizen and remind folks of the danger of water that is both high and cold.

Might be a good idea to at least take a buddy along, just in case. But no skin off my nose.

The day I just about croaked in the Sauk a few kids had to be rescued further upstream. The next day there was a warning printed in the local paper about not venturing out on the river. Not sure I would've listened to it, but the timing sure made me feel like a dunce.

Question for anybody: I wanna do a canoe fishing day trip for the first time on this river.I will wanna finish my trip from the rum river south county park where would I start from to make it a day trip any suggestion or help will be great.

You could start at the Central Park on Hwy 7. Here is what someone told me when I asked...

Put in at the County Park on CR 7 and paddle/float all the way to the park in Anoka. I think its Central Rum River Park and South Rum River Park in Anoka. Between the two county parks it is great. If you paddle between the two parks it will take 3 or 4 hours. Doesn’t seem that far but the river winds around a lot.