• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking to buy my first sleds

lungdeflator

Wanting to get a sled for each my wife and I. We are both young enough (me especially) that a lot of our riding would be just about everything (ditches, trails, lakes, ice fishing). We like to go fast but not crazy fast. And I doubt my sled will be on the ground 100% of the time.

With this being my first go....what would be a good all around sled? For some reason I'm drawn to Polaris machines, but don't know enough to know what to look for.

Would it be better to get a sled that can handle the jumps and speed vs getting one for fishing and trying to jump that one?

Looking for something newer, maybe a package deal 7000$ or less.

Thanks!

If you want to do jumps I would get a sled for this purpose. Most any sled will ride across the lake and stop so you can drill a hole and fish. Some better than others, wider track for deep snow is one example. I ride a polaris XL wide track because I use if for fishing, deep snow pulling a portable and moderate trail riding but it would be my last choice for jumping or hard trail riding. I would look for the newest sled in good shape you can find as newer is almost always better as sleds go smile

If your new at it take a safety class if your going to try a lot of fun stuff. Not everyone is a Levi LaVallee coming right out of the gate. Hard riding sometimes means extra wear and replacing parts. But, I'm a old guy and done that and like to watch out for the trees a little more now a days. Have fun and be safe! A good 600 Snowpro or 600 Switchback should work for ya to start! wink

Definitely get electric start and reverse for your wife. Heck, I would even get that for me nowadys wink but a light sled isn't hard to drag around for a guy, but it is for my wife anyway...

I have noticed that my two up isn't near as much fun in the ditches as my XC, so I wouldn't get 2-up or a heavy sled. But they sure are nicer for ice fishing, work good for towing out stuck sleds ;), and automatically come with longer track which is nice.

Also the newer higher riding seating positions are nice. Not sure what year they came out in, but you might not find two sleds and trailer of that newer vintage in your price range. I will say the '00-'05 vintage XC sleds are pretty light, pretty available, and pretty reliable, and definitely in your price range. I have '02 xc500 and it goes pretty good, and other than a light switch on mine, it has been very reliable and even spent some time in the air with a fat guy on it wink sometimes not on purpose... ha! A 600 would be really nice, ideally with reverse. The newer styles would even be nicer, but more $$.

I got a covered trailer in my package deal back in '08, and it sure is nice, though I mainly use it for storage more than being mobile these days. Good luck with whatever you get!

I ride Polaris and always have. Other brands are good too, but I have always had the best luck with Polaris.

If this is your first sled, I would not get anything bigger than a 600. Too many people buy the 700-800's, ride with their buddies and try to keep up which leads to bad, bad things. Pro riders make ditch banging and snocross look pretty easy, I highly recommend you use caution before trying to jump.

Have fun and enjoy whatever you decide on.

I guess I should clarify...this isn't my first time on a sled, I've ridden quite a bit before but on older sleds. Reverse would almost be a must for both sleds, I've been on some with reverse and it helps alot when your stuck.

After some research would a crossover be the best option?

Are the RMKs decent machines? I see alot of those for sale.

What would be some things to look for in a used sled?

Thanks Meat-Run. I think I narrowed it down to a Switchback model. After talking with friends and other people, EFI and reverse would be nice.

I recently got a 2012 Foreman with EFI and it is a world of difference starting up, especially in the cold.

With all these Polaris recommendations I feel obligated to throw out that you can purchase a ski doo sled (2010+) which will offer electric start, reverse and if you so choose you can do a renegade (longer track).

I will personally say that Ive beat the life out of our snowmobiles and have yet to break down (other than a belt which is important you know how to do before you blow one)

You can get either a 800 or 600 etec both in short track or renegade (126" vs 136" i believe) 600 will get you around just as well as the 800 but if you plan to go out west or Michigan the 800 will give you that extra boost to get through the powder.

while Polaris sled are nice, they are no where near as comfortable to ride as a ski doo (IMHO) especially the assault models. I cant judge the newer assault models as the only one I've ridden was the first model year.

Again, go with Polaris as they are decent sleds. You will definitely be overlooking the top snowmobile on the market (vast opinion). Again choosing a sled is like choose chevy vs ford so just be sure to drive them all before you buy (especially try ski doo)

As far as the RMKs, the new models are nice sleds (some of the nicest mountain sleds) but you will loose a lot of comfort riding them in the mid west (unless you plan to go out west or MI) Also the tracks are much more expensive to replace and don't do well on the icy Midwest trails.

My suggestion would be to look for a 2009+ 600 or 800 etec renegade or short track. you will not be disappointed.

[EDIT] also ignore getting a 600 over a 800 based on speed, 600 tops out about 100 and the 800 will do about 110 (at least ski doos) and accelerations quick for both so don't let that be a deciding factor. just hang on!