• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smallies best lakes JP SAVAGE ?

Smallie

Smallie, how can you go wrong with Mille Lacs,monster smallies in there. I found a good article on it, I asked Rick for permission to post it here. Kabetogama, and Vermillion are also excellent lakes for smallmouth,the smallies are all but overlooked in these waters in favor of the mighty walleye. I love fishing smalloes on Mille Lacs but I hate fighting wind all day so the past couple of years Ive been going up to Kab. The Ash River Trail has some good places to stay. Have Fun!

I have bee n up to Millacs a couple of times smally fishing. I hit every time a storm has come in and recked my fishing trip. We have managed to catch some with the little time that we were abl eto fish.

I was thinking that I would like to go up North. Also yes have some kind of lake that has bays to get out of the wind.

Thanks

I hear Vermillion is pretty good not the size like Millacs but numbers.

Kab and Vermillion are pretty far North,We always manage to hook up a couple a 4# fish up there. But you're right the numbers are really good if not the overall size,and theres plenty of places to get out of the wind. If you really want to get north try Rainy, excellent smallie fishing there also, it is such a long drive for me I dont go up unless Im spending a few days. I would talk to a couple a guys on those forums ,they should have some good info for you. By the way , is this Cory ? I want to talk to you about taking a guided largemouth trip up your way this summer. Put us on some hawgs!

yeah this is Cory, who am I talking to?
I know Rainy is good news to. I woul like to fish all these bodies of water but theres that one little word work!! If it wasnt for work a guy could do no wrong.

------------------
Trophy Guides
Northeast Outfitters
Cory Putnam
320-808-7722 Cell
320-763-9598 Work

Smallie,

If I had to leave for a vacation for Smallis I would head to Koronis Lake by Paynesville. It is attached by a small river to Rice Lake also. Wanna talk about some monster Smallies! An 8 Pounder was caught and released there this summer. Another nice thing about these lakes is there are also some Nice Walleyes there.

Good Luck smile.gif

chev

Hey Cory, it is tough but you gotta take a vacation once in a while. You dont know me but Ive seen that you guide up that way. I was thinking about taking my boys up there this summer for a little fishing trip. Its funny huh, your looking to leave there to go fishing and Im going to come there to fish. I'll get a hold of you this spring to set something up. Talk to ya, Dan

Dan,
I'll look forward to hearing from you this summer what time of the year are you thinking?

Guys I have heard that Koronis is a great smallie fishery. It's sad I only live about 90 minutes away and I have yet to be there. Exude you had a 20 lb bag on how many fish sounds like a nice sack.

Hey Smallie...........Potatoe, Big Sand, Shell River, Little Sand by ParkRapids.......Portage (by Ten Mile )near Hackensack(CPR only) and Big Thunder south of Remer........All great lakes and potential for a 5 plus.

JP,
thanks pal I was wondering if you were still around.

Did you need some more Gary's baits I can help you out this time of year?

Give me a call at the store.

320-763-9598

------------------
Trophy Guides
Northeast Outfitters
Cory Putnam
320-808-7722 Cell
320-763-9598 Work

LOW all the way. I got a 7.25 pounder that went about 23.5 inches last July and a 5 pounder the year before. A lot of 3 pound fish. If you want to see it go to this page.

frida.blc.edu/~mjohnson/LOWMJ5pig1.jpg

Good Fishin, Matt.

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 02-03-2003).]

Nice fish Mat. If you hit LOW in June Mat, try ghost bay, boot bay and Yellow Girl( the shoreline that the adams river enters on. Yellow girl has the numbers but we normally take 2 or 3 smallies over 5 from ghost(cpr) becareful of the rock in the front of boot, it's hard on lower units.
Maybe we will see you on the water, we go out of Tomahawk at Sioux Narrows.

------------------
Wayne
Agape Fishing Guides
www.agapefishingguides.com

Agape, I go out of Laughing Waters Houseboats. We've known Dan and Noreen (the owners) for years so we stay at the cabins or camp there. We are just a hop and a skip from Sioux Narrows. We are going to be up there again from July 5-13. Last year we were up the week of July 4th as well. A lot of big pike as well. The walleyes were mostly 2-3 pounders with only a few that were around 4-5 pounds. While BBQing I caught a 15 pound carp from shore too! I'm going up to there in a week (Feb 19-23) for some walleye fishing.

I got a bunch of pictures if you wanna see them from LOW. Drop me an e-mail.

([email protected])

Good Fishin, Matt.

MJ5 and Fishing Minnesota...
http://frida.blc.edu/~mjohnson/mj5.html

I got the "bug" on my first motorcycle trip up to Ely. We brought our pack rods and we stayed at Burntside lodge on Burntside lake. This cabin resort is a bit upscale, but for a second honeymoon I can't think of anywhere else I'd rater take my bride.

I caught a real taildancer the first night we were there and it changed my life. I bought a boat that winter and the Harleys mostly stay in the garage these days. Man are my biker friends [PoorWordUsage]ed about that.

Anyway, the surroundings are gorgeous and the smallies are everywhere. The locals don't fish it much because they want walleyes, and Burntside has too many smallmouths. Oh well, more for me. The staff at Burntside is great and it is nice to sit down to a gourmet meal in the lodge.

There are no pets, no radios, or TV's but I like a little peace and quiet sometimes. It's the opposite of Buffalo Chip for anyone that has been to Sturgis during bike week.

There is one spot where 4 and 5 pounders SCHOOL but I'm not tellng where. Remember, this is upscale so leave your usual tattered fishing rags on the floor in your closet. Bring your sweetie (leave your buddies at the bar) and book at least six months in advance. Try not to gulp too hard when you get the bill, because after all, isn't she worth it.

Happy Valentines to all the ladies who love to fish and who stand behind us when the big one gets away, or believes your lying a$$ when you swear you weren't in the bar with your buds all night. "The fish were just so big and biting so furious I just lost track of the time. Honest! Have I told you how much I love thee, let me count the weighs. More than a 7 lb smallie. More than a . . . "

Green Lake in Spicer. There are a lot of 20"+ smallies in that lake.
While out walleye fishing, I sometimes catch a stray 18" to 22" smallie. They are fun to catch!
But their is a slot for smallies on Green also, a 14 inch maximum harvest size limit.

------------------
Fish, Fish, and Fish some more! ;D

Vermilion is great! There are mid-lake humps and reefs that don't appear on the Hotspots maps. If you can locate some of these, mark em'. I usually am targeting northern and musky but spend a fair amount of time for bass too. Stop in at Muskego Point Resort and see if Grant is able to talk for a minute. He's a smallmouth expert. Just ask Al Lindner!

Dawg

------------------

[This message has been edited by stephendawg (edited 02-17-2003).]