• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Ybone

Door and latch freezing

I have a new Yetti with a camper style door. I'm having a lot of trouble with moisture around the edges of the door and also inside the latch. Had to come out through a window today since the latch froze while I was inside. The door itself has froze shut to where I had to use a torch to thaw it. I have a direct vent empire heater. Any ideas to keep the latch from freezing and the moisture from building up on the door edge?

We use a dark towel to hang in the window to help. Keep towel above the door latch. We also heet water to pour around the bottom of door to melt the ice to get out.

Out of desperation, I once used Pam cooking spray in similar situation. Worked wonders. I'd take the latch apart, dry it and apply a light coat of it...or regular oil. As for door freezing shut, perhaps add some weather stripping or put rug/towel where it leaks the most.

I have ceiling fans in my wheelhouse and keep them on low speed nearly all the time. At night, I also have a fan mounted near the ceiling across from my door to blow the heat at the door. Never been shut in or out, but I keep a hair dryer in the house and in the truck just in case.

I put an outside 110v outlet next to the door just for that purpose. My generator runs 24/7 when I am using my house.

Iso-heat will melt the ice if you spalsh it at the latch...then WD-40 the latch...but if you pull the latch apart and stuff in a little insulation it helps also! The door issue maybe pull the trim and silicone around it a little better? If it is right in the seam...it may be a bad seal?

I think my house is too tight and get some freezing and ice buildup in a small section of the door and it gets hard to close in frigid weather. The foam insulation also sticks sometimes. Anyone ever use the 3M V-Seal?