Jump to content
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

    You know what we all love...

    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
liebs

Microwave light underneath not working

Recommended Posts

I have a Kenmore over the stove microwave model 721.62644200. Yesterday morning, I pressed the button to turn on the light underneath and I heard a popping noise. There are 2 bulbs and neither work even after replacing them with new ones. Everything else on the microwave seems to be working fine. I first thought it may be the bulb sockets that blew out but am now leaning toward a circuit board issue. Sears only suggestion is to have someone come out and charge me a lot of money. Anyone have any ideas? I really miss my light.

Thanks,

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This I found online from a whirlpool forum but is probably similar to your problem. If you are not technically competent and do not know how to use a voltmeter I dont suggest you do this.

CAUTION:

When you work on the microwave

oven, be careful when handling the sheet metal

parts. Sharp edges may be present, and you

can cut yourself if you are not careful.

5.Remove the screw from the top of the

control panel and pull the top forward.

1.Disconnect the electrical power to the

microwave oven.

2.Remove the two outer screws from the top

of the cabinet.

3.Pull the top of the air grille forward, lift the

bottom tabs from the slots, and remove

the grille from the microwave oven.

4.Open the microwave oven

5.Remove the screw from the top of the

control panel and pull the top forward.

Once you have access to the control board,

Turn on the hood lights(on hi setting) and check for 120 VAC on connector P3 pin 1(yellow wire) to chassis ground.

Then check for 120 VAC from connector P3 pin1 to connector P2 pin 1(green wire) for the same.

No voltage on either test would indicate a bad control board.

Voltage on the control board connections would indicate a broken wire, or receptacle problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you heard popping then you should be able to see what component(s) on the circuit board are fried. Probably will be black burn marks somewhere on it. I'd look for evidence of that first. I've got a few websites I buy appliance parts from, saves a ton of money vs bringing out a repair person. Even if I screw up and replace the wrong part I'm still money ahead by the time I do fix it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Model 721. is a Gold Star (LG) microwave. Look for help with an LG. If you do not know what you are doing, call someone. There is a high voltage component that can send you to the hospital or morgue. Unless you can identify and keep a screwdriver out of the wrong places, the repair bill will be far less than the medical or burial expenses. For every problem with appliances, there are usually three or more things that can cause those symptoms. Bulb (did you get the correct bulb?), control panel, loose wire or connection fixture should all be checked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your replies. I've done my share of household wiring but have never tackled appliance wiring. I do have a volt meter but unfortunately, never learned how to use it. I've decided to heed your warnings and have called in an appliance repair person. Hopefully they won't try to charge me more than it's worth. They gave me the option of buying a service agreement for $259 for one year coverage. At that rate, I could just buy a new one every year. Pass...

Years ago, this same store tried selling me a $200 3 year service agreement on a lawnmower that I bought 20 years ago for $130. At that time, the guy tried telling me what a great deal it was. I explained to him that I could just buy a new one every 3 years in that case. Never made sense to me to pay more for a service agreement than the product is worth.

Thanks again for all your advice!

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, after paying the repair guy $85 to come look at the microwave, he told me that I needed a new control board. The part is about $105, with labor it would come to $259. As this unit is 10 years old already, I told him that I could just buy a new one for that. I just couldn't see putting out the cash for a new one since everything else was working fine and I really like this one.

What I did was to buy an 18" GE Xenon strip light, 4 magnets and some adhesive clips for the cord to mount under the microwave. Installation time was about 2 minutes. The light has 2 settings and is plenty bright enough for cooking. The lower setting works good as a night light in the kitchen. Best of all, it passed the daughter test.

Thanks again for your responses!

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×