• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog Blinds

Scott M

I'm curious what people have used and can recommend for dog blinds. I need something that will last, is big enough for a 65 pound female lab, that the dog can turn around in, and that has stubbling straps. My dog has come around to the training and I think a field hunt with her is in the cards.

A waterfowl hunting friend of mine had a dog blind that kept breaking;it was an Avery Finisher Dog Blind - the poles just snapped. Can't have that. Don't know about the Mutt Huts or Rig Em Right Field Bully, or whatever else is out there.

It's a unique niche, so I may not get anything, but I figured it was worth a try. Otherwise, I'll have to check out Rogers or make a pilgrimage to Mack's.

I field hunted through the 90s without a dog blind. My dogs were all steady and laid right next to me until sent to retrieve. Never noticed any flaring birds.... Heck at times. We had birds cupping in when the dog would be finishing a retrieve...

Good Luck!

Ken

You certainly can hunt without on but I think most of the time it's better to have the dog concelled than laying out in the open, plus they give a dog a "place" to be untill sent for a retrieve, I also like to have the dog back behind me 20 yards or so, I believe they get a better view and in turn mark multible falls better.

Iv'e had a finisher that broke, and a FA mutt hut that I liked, but had pieces that could be lost in the field. And last season bought a Field Bully, so far I really like it and there are no parts to assemble or loose in the field, and sets up and folds down in seconds.

Got a MoMarsh invisilab this year. Very happy with it! It is a stand/blind combo. Can fold legs flat to hunt fields or unfold and extend up to 34" for shallow water. Each leg is individually adjustable for uneven bottoms. It has a mesh bottom so water drains off the dog. It has stubble straps and zip up doors on both sides. They have a video of a 120 lb chessie doing retrieves in water out of it - very sturdy.

I love the concealment and the fact that my dog as a "kennel spot." Can't see myself hunting without one now

We shoot hundreds of honkers and ducks each season out of the fields. I run two dogs. (not at same time) I use no blind. They are trained to lay right next to my blind. I also place some dekes around the dog to break up their outline. NEVER had an issue. Just make sure dog is steady. Have had numerous honks and ducks dang near land on dog. Using a vest sometimes helps in concealment too. Good luck!

The Brittany in my avatar has retrieved 100s+ and never been in a dog blind.

If the dog does not move much the ducks and tundra geese do not see them. If they do move - the birds often circle back ... human faces, hands, arms and their gun barrels are more problematic in my opinion.

On good days we have had birds drop right in while she was coming back with bird in mouth.