• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Newbie? Improving a Wetland area?

I have a small piece of wetland on my property. It's probably 1/4 acre + of wetland that butts up to a wooded area. Anyway, in the wetland is 20+ dead standing trees and then a thick type of grass that gets very matted down. The grass kind of fell over this last fall even before the snow came. And now with the snow, it's completely flat.

I know in the spring and even into the summer there is standing water out there.

I would like to provide better cover for pheasants, deer, ect. and thinking cattails would be better. (there are some cattails nearby in similar areas) Any idea if I could change it over? Or any other ideas?

I was wondering the same thing. Could a guy do a controlled burn to move the heavy grass, or would that just come up again the next year?

Labs, how does one go about getting one of those groups involved? What do you mean by permanently deed it?

You can start with a call to your soil and water conservation office or get someone from MN waterfowl. DU or PF out there. They will all help get you in touch with a USFW agent who can tell you what you legally can and can't do and then make recommendations.

On my buddy's land, he first pemanantly deeded all wetlands that were still on the property. This puts the wetlands on the legal deed of the property and you and all subsequent owners are bound to maintain them... Meaning no draining or alterations to size. You get a one time payment from the govt for protecting them. It is worth while money... actually it was eye opening the amounts given. From there they identified four other wetlands that were at some point 'opened' up and drained throughout the 80 years it was farmed. He allowed the USFW service to come in a 'dike' them at no charge to him to restore the wetland and then turned around and permanently deeded those also recieving payments on the new wetlands. Even the new ones naturally are beginning to produce cattails. The restored ones are small seasonal ones, but the ducks sit shoulder to shoulder on them during the spring migration. Obviously they have invertibrae they need for the migration. The past couple of summers were dry enough that they did not hold water by August. They are about 18-20" deep.

Good Luck!

Ken

sounds like you have seasonal wetlands to me that likely have reed canary grass. cattails are so prolific, that if they aren't already growing there, there is probably a reason. i might guess that there isn't enough hydrology (wetness) to support cattail growth.

to consider other options, i'd echo what Labs4me is saying. here is a link to the USFWS Private Lands program in MN where you'll find contact info for their private lands biologists that specialize in wetlands.

USFWS Private Lands Program