• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Outdoor Hockey Jan 17 - 18

BartmanMN

So there will be lots of outdoor hockey taking place next weekend. Who is going where?

Jan 17 - Lady Gophers 4:30, Gophers 8 (TCF Bank) Pond Hockey Lake Nokomis

Jan 18 - High School hockey games in Elk River (Handke Pit), Pond Hockey Lake Nokomis

I'm thinking we'll check out some games in Elk River at a minimum.

what a way to finish hockey day Minnesota, with elk rivers prosser with the game winning goal for the wild.

handke pit, I played much hockey down there, since I lived only 1 block away, lots of good memories from my hockey days down there.

I had outdoor hockey all week - my son's a Mite and played in the Como/Johnson outdoor Mite Jamboree. Great fun, although he was in goal Thursday night and even bundled up and with adhesive toe warmers stuck all over him, he got a little cold...

My daughter's HS team played outside Sat night in the St Paul Classic at North Dale in St. Paul, and it was a blast. Beautiful, beautiful night for outdoor hockey. Spectators could stand right along the boards - had to be on your toes for flying pucks and sticks getting up along the wall - and just the *sound* of the game was awesome. You could hear the skates on the ice, the sticks, the communication between players, and a little chirping now and then. My daughter played probably her best game of HS hockey besides, so it was a super evening, even though they lost 3-2.

Between my son and daughter's games I ran the clock and did announcing/stats for our youth association's annual girl's tournament. If you count what I saw on TV, I think I saw all or parts of 16 hockey games on Saturday, ranging from Mite Cs and 10U girls to the NHL. It was awesome.

That is a fun filled day RK!!

To this day my fondest memories of my hockey career were from a tournament we had in Peewees in Lindstrom. It was an outdoor tournament.

The fact that a john deere with a brush and to sweep the ice to get the snow out between periods (snowed fairly heavy during the game) and the fact that the snow accumulated along the boards causing you to lose the puck, at the time was frustrating, but now its absolutely hilarious. The chainlink fence for "glass" and the shorter than normal boards which allowed players to get checked out of the rink definitely made it interesting.

I will never forget that tournament. Not because we finished second, but because of all the other things I mentioned. It was a blast!!!

The temps were warm as well and at night they laid foam insulation on the ice to keep the cold in.