• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electric Starter

givetoget

I have a 2000 ski doo 600 GT. The electric start wont work, but if I hold the key in the start position and tap on starter lightly away it goes. Would that be the starter, solenoid or both? Is a starter rebuildable or can you clean them out if its sticking? Thanks for any help

I have a 2000 ski doo 600 GT. The electric start wont work, but if I hold the key in the start position and tap on starter lightly away it goes. Would that be the starter, solenoid or both? Is a starter rebuildable or can you clean them out if its sticking? Thanks for any help

When you are holding the key on and tap it as you say. Is the motor running but the starter is just not engaging? If so some times when it gets really cold out like this the bendix at the end of the shaft will stick and not come out to engage and like Mac, said you may need to clean that up as well. If it just doesn't turn over at all (motor not running) until you tap on it then you may have something loose or bad brushes. wink

MacGyver- Leech, the starter seems to work fine when the sled is cold. The starter is very close to the manifold exhaust pipe so when starter heats up it don't work it seems. Does this change your opinion or pinpoint something more to you.

Thanks

Well as of today the start is 14 years old and may just be done! frown

When something works or doesn't work at different temps usually their worn and the heating or cooling is making them expand or contract just enough to free them up or make contact with another surface like the brushes, Armature or switch.

But, at around $430 new from Ski Doo you may want to crack open the case and see if you can spray some Elc, motor cleaner around if their is any corrosion inside. Also, you may try bring it in to a good Auto store and see if they can test it for you or if the brushes are replaceable maybe? Good Luck! frown

Hey Thanks Leech, Ya they are pricey, I can still pull start it and go so that is a good thing. But I am going with your advice and going to take it out and bring it to an auto store let them have a go at it.

Thanks much Leech

$430 for a new starter may be the going price but still way out of line compared to having the old one rebuilt. My boat motor starter went out once. A new starter back then was $300. I got it rebuilt for $25.

Thats new from Scam-doo! You can get one from D/K for a lot less. And as you said rebuilding is a good op. wink

Update, well I took it to a good automotive store. They took it apart and found everything in good shape, brushes were about 3/8 to 1/2" long, he said they had plenty left and good spring pressure. He tested the armature and starter windings and found them to be ok. thinks it could be solenoid. Problem is we cant find replacement parts, not even brushes. They are going to send it to a place that does a lot of aftermarket work and they feel confident they can find a repair. So I will have to wait to see what they come up with.