• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leasing

BowTech03

Ive been looking around for leases here and there a little bit, been using some of the big lease companies associated with like whitetail proprieties and mossy oak proprieties and they have lots of listing and great sites just not as much for around Central Minnesota. Any suggestions?

When picking up a new lease what does everyone look for?

Definitely look outside of MN if you're going to pay. If I was going to look for a new place I would start in the northern third of Missouri, take a week off work and go knock on doors. You will possibly get free hunting rights and you will definitely pay less than going through a service. Missouri is the shortest drive compared to the other states like KS, IL, OH, etc.

My biggest concern with any property is the neighbors. Do they trespass? Do they shoot everything? How many people are hunting it? Your neighbors will have a huge influence on your success. Another major reason to consider other states, IMO. Also, cattle. Don't lease anything with cattle on it because the farmer will move them right under your stand the day before you get there.

hey appreciate the feed back, I am just new to the leasing game/out of state hunting so just so much area to cover ya know. I mean we have plenty of success with getting fields for ducks and geese in MN, but we also put in our time for them. And from my observations it seems like bird hunting locations are hard to come by, but people take their deer hunting locations very serious, as they should. Have always hunted public land around the area, and that's great and all would just be nice to find a piece some where that holds a few day in and day out.

Knock on doors.

i was surprised how well we did last year in Nebraska door knocking for permission. It was opening week of rifle and we were probably at 1 out of 10 on a success rate (the land we originally had planned on hunting wasn't holding deer). If you are earlier in the season and hunting with bow - i would bet your rate would be even higher. but it is hard to say.

good luck.

Our party of three leased a 40 from Potlach for eight years near Duluth. They contacted us and let us know they were putting it up for sale and we had first shot at it. They wanted a ridiculous amount of $$ but told us to make an offer. We ended up getting it for ten grand less than they originally wanted. No issues with trespessars and we get to manage every bit of it. Surrounded by county land it has become a dream property for us and our children. Putting a shack up one of these summers soon.

Regarding waterfowl, go to Canada. We left Minnesota years ago for the prarrie fields of Saskatchewan and have had huge success there for the past ten years. The people are super friendly and usually have no issue with you hunting on their land. Some of the farmers there now consider us family. Great stuff. Good luck! BC

I'd pay a small fee to hunt a deer rich (notice I didn't say trophy rich) property.

Like.. A property with an over-abundance of does or something.. For perhaps not the entire year, but just the bow season... Even prior to gun.

Any of you guys heard of or have gotten onto something like that?