• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

beagles for pheasants/grouse.

Lost Cause

One of the first dogs I pheasant hunted behind was a beagle... He was slow, but a machine! Actually quite funny watching him bay while tracking a rooster... He was just a farm dog that figured it out...

Good Luck!

Ken

When I was a kid fifty years ago me and another kid had the "honor" of handling a beagle that would trail pheasants that was owned by a guy older than us. Handling meant a piece of clothesline around his collar and hanging on. Ol' Jack trailed down many a rooster. Granted there were a lot more pheasants around then. It was kind of a pain in the --- when he got on a fox scent and it was off to the races. You never new if he was on a pheasant, rabbit, or a fox. Good memories.

Obviously some breeds work better than others. Having said that I think you can train any dog to do anything. It just depends on how much work you want to put in, and what your expectations are as far as how good of a hunter they are.

I've pheasant hunted behind beagles before. They were like little bulldozers going through the cattails. It was cool and they got plenty of birds......along with all types of other critters.