• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trap/snare for yotes??

I live in central MN and have approx. two packs of coyotes in our area I've never trapped anything other then a mouse in my garage. Can somebody give me the basics of one easy trap/snare I can buy and use to get some coyotes? I have deer trimmings will that work or do I have to get specific bait any help would be great.

MR

I'm not much of a trapper either. But I know a lot of people that do. I can ask a couple of them for you. I do not like (packs) of coyotes in 1 area. They will demolish your deer pop.! Another way is to hunt them using a distress call to lure them in. I just got into the sport myself. Depending on your distance from me, I'd be more than willing to come help u take out a few! Pm me if you are interested

Right now your easiest bet on catching at least one coyote will be to place snares on their commonly used trails. Typically gaps in fencing, drainage ditches, etc. will be your best bet. Snaring is relatively easy when you get the hang of it, and catching red fox and coyotes in snares doesn't take as much skill as catching them in foothold traps.

good luck.

First off it's all about location, location, location. I find that coyoyes will run deer trails as much as deer will. On a deer trail set up a log across the trail about 2 to 2.5 ft high. The deer will go over it and the yotes will go under it. Hang your snares right over the trail and make the loop in the snare about 10" in diamater. (Make sure there is no chance of catching domesticated animals) Make the set look as natural as possible. If you want to shoot some then yes you can use calls, but the yotes are smart and after you get a few the rest will catch on to what you are doing. Best of luck to ya also check out swamptalk.com a lot respectful people on there that will be more than willing to give you trapping advice

It does say that it's illegal to set on "deer trails" but deer will use any type of trail that is already there. I should've looked closer at the regs before posting before. Growing up in Iowa that was how we snared a lot of yotes. My apologies I don't want to get anyone in trouble. I only use footholds for all my trapping of critters now a days so I haven't paid to much attention to snaring regs

It does say that it's illegal to set on "deer trails" but deer will use any type of trail that is already there. I should've looked closer at the regs before posting before. Growing up in Iowa that was how we snared a lot of yotes. My apologies I don't want to get anyone in trouble. I only use footholds for all my trapping of critters now a days so I haven't paid to much attention to snaring regs

No harm, I didn't say that I agreed with that law...with all the deer around my area it's hard to find trails without deer tracks on them. Unless I can find the small, hard to find, coon and fox trails and set those.