• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camera Advice

Darn it Dan!!! LOL... My problem, I have never owned a camera, I have no idea what its supposed to feel like, or where the buttons should be. So this will be an all new experience for me. Which ever one I get, I'll learn to like how it feels and where the buttons are.

Dan is right as usual. When I was looking at my last camera, I couldn't decide between the Canon and Nikon. Then I went to the store and held them, and the Canon felt natural and with the Nikon it seemed like my fingers couldn't find the buttons. Both great cameras one just felt better than the other.

Also there is a huge difference between macro and close up. I love my 100mm macro. I can post some pictures if it would help.

DD, every time a new rod or reel or both come out you hold them in your hand if you get the chance. Some feel ok, some feel fine and a couple feel just right... cameras are the same. Take an afternoon and run over to National Camera Exchange in Maple Grove, stop at Cabela's also and try some of the cameras, with lens attached out at the Exchange. Then check their price out against Adorama. Or call me.

I had 5 SX powershot series with the canon before I went to DSLR. Really liked Canons and still do. When I was shopping for my first DSLR the reason i went to Nikon was that I heard that the basic 55-300 zoom was a little better quality than the basic Canon. Also I could not see spending 1400 bucks for the canon 100-400. So I started with a D5000 that I found at a pawn shop with an 18-55 on it and bought a refurbished 55-300 on amazon. Worked great and wifey really liked it also so when we decided to get another I upgraded to the D5100, just a body and then bought the nikon 18-300 lens. Love that lens cuz of it's versatility for the kind of hobby shooting that I do. So head to a store like Dan says and check both brands out. As far as controls go they are both pretty easy. With my eyes I never use the screen other than to look at a pic so it's nice to have a camera where it rotates. I 99% shoot thru the view finder. now to figure out how to get a macro and a 35 mm. better sell something that I don't need any more... LOL please post some macro pics 4 pats.. I would love to see them as I am sure others would also. and why 100MM ? thanks

Deitz, we were in the same boat as you about a year ago, and we ended up going to National Camera Exchange in Maple Grove. Great people there and we ended up buying a Canon EOS Rebel T4i. Bought just the camera body and an upgraded lens and we are very pleased. Nice thing about buying the camera from National Camera is that we also got some free classes (I think four total) for learning the how to use the camera and many of the functions, and also learned some of the basics of photography. You may be able to save money by purchasing elsewhere or online, but the classes ended up being very helpful for a novice like me.

Which ever one I get, I'll learn to like how it feels and where the buttons are.

That is so true. I bought my first Canon DSLR from a member of another photo forum without ever touching a DSLR or even seeing one. I bought my last car off hsolist and had never seen this make or model but knew, after a lot of research, that was the one I wanted. It took me a bit of time to figure out where everything was, especially going from Ford to GMC, but it wasn't a big deal. Whether you get Canon, Nikon, Pentax or any other brand, you'll spend time getting used to the camera and it won't be a big deal.

Well, the wife and I ended up going to National Camera... they were very helpful. I got to hold and try out plenty of brands, and ended up going home with the Canon t5i, with Tamron 18-270 lens.

I will be taking the classes that Natl cam offers, looking forward to it. Tried to take some bird picts, some turned out ok.. messing with all the settings is a bit overwhelming but Im sure it will get better. Got some good picts of the cats.. LOL So far with it being as cold as it is, thats all I have really taken picts of. .

Thanks again for everyones help, will be fun@!!!

Way to go Deitz! Congratulations on the purchase! If you need a hand with anything make sure you let me know!

If you really want something cool the Aurora is forecast to be good tonight! Get some beautiful Northern Light shots. You will have to endure the -13 temps but it is worth it!