• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Celery Growing

Bobby Bass

As we get ready for turkey dinner here some how the topic of growing Celery came up. No one here has ever tried growing it so that makes me ask the question has anyone ever tried growing Celery? As you can see my next garden might be interesting with growing Tobacco and now thinking about celery...

this past summer growing celery was pretty crappy. I grow it every year. I get the plants from the greenhouse. it is a stronger tasting celery, I would recommend only for cooking. some years it is good others so-so. I have even harvested it and got a second batch a few years. gotta keep an eye on it and not wait to late to harvest.

I have grown celery quite a few times.I always bought seed and transplanted it.Not easy to find celery plants in a greenhouse.

Celery should be blanched to keep it from getting tough and stringy.The best way is to put a 3 pound coffee can over it.The celery will fill up the can and be nice and straight,white on the bottom and tender where the sun doesn't hit the stalks.

I have been doing some research and it looks like the plants do need to be blanched I have seen ideas using cardboard or just mulch, the coffee cans are a good idea as that is what I can tell the wife why I keep saving coffee cans for. Now I just need to find a place to find seed as no one sells them around here in the spring when I searched this year.

Seeds are now 4 weeks old and good germination. Have already thinned then out once. Seedlings are now about an 1.5 inches high. Thinking these plants are going to go into a raised bed as with all the snow on the ground I think the garden is going to be pretty wet this spring.