• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So Planning a Lake Trout fishing trip in the spring to Duluth

I've caught them near shore and out further in the spring. However, even when I've caught them further out from shore that time of year, they've been closer to the top.

Spoons and sticks work good. I'm personally a spoon guy but I know guys also love floating rapalas and Bombers.

I've used boards and small sized dipseys. That time of year, I've had better luck closer to Duluth and actually near PP.

I love a spoon with anything green but orange has also worked well.

Here's hoping for an early spring

Well I am planning on getting Spoons. I like that and was thinking making a box full of them this winter.

My issue is its a big lake and how do I go about it. Just get in the boat and cruise out there until I find something I think are fish and fish it where ever they are in the water column?

Yes.

In the spring, go shallow first. Along Park Point and even outside the Superior Entry are good places to start. I've done pretty decent in the past by getting out there bright and early in the am in spring and trolling as soon as I got outside the Superior Entry.

Just get in the boat and cruise out there until I find something I think are fish and fish it where ever they are in the water column?

That is basically what you need to do but I would throw a few zig-zags into the mix as well. Look for temp breaks or changes in water color and zig-zag between the changes. Early in the season we don't look for fish but instead look for pods of smelt. Find them and you will find fish close by and usually they are feeding.

+1 on the zig zagging.

And about spoons. I have the kind that can be trolled slow, med, and fast. I'm partial to ProKing but there are plenty of good brands out there. That allows me to play with speed a bit. However, it seems my swet spot in spring has been about 1.8 to 2.2. I've read that one should use smaller spoons in the spring but I use standard size all year and seem to have no issues.

There will be boats out there, so at least you'll be able to see you're fishing in the right areas. I like to fish early, especially for cohos, but you can catch fish all day. I'm partial to small sticks myself, especially early season, and run my lures in the top 30 ft or so. Snap weights, small dipseys, downrigger if you have one. And run a high flat line way back if you have the rods to do it, and there isn't too much boat traffic.