• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Collar Burn

onthefly

Guys - looking for advice on how to limit / eliminate collar burn.

I'm a gun dog rookie, so even basic advice is welcomed.

I know to 1) minimize time with collar on 2) make sure collar is high on neck and tight 3) make sure prongs stay on the back of the neck between the ears.

Anything else? I was thinking of maybe switching to a new Garmin/tritronics collar because the collar is so much smaller than my Dogtra.

I have a tri tronics and my dog gets burned, its weird no matter where I position the collar it always end up on his left side. Must be the way he shakes off. Think maybe ill make a dummy collar cause I don't need to nic him much anymore

You seen the new Tritronics? I bet it's 1/3 the size/weight of my Dogtra. My thought is that even if the dog shakes off, it wouldn't move as easily. And, the contacts wouldn't rub as hard since it's lighter weight. No expert, but that makes sense to me

I have never had a problem with my collor and i have a dogtra and a garmin astro on my pointer. I hunted 3 days straight last weekend with the dog running 32 miles during that time and no sores on her neck. To me it sounds like your putting the collor on to tight. I normally put the collor tight enough to were i can slip 2 fingers between the collor and neck.

Okay gang, now I understand "burning". While I have a collar it does not get much use and I have never had a problem. Occurs to me however that we might like to choose a different adjective to describe the collar sores you are referring to as there ARE people who might make a real fuss about "burning" dogs necks!