• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ethernet Wiring Question

Well it's actually 2 questions but here goes.

1st: Currently have an older 6 wire phone line running out to a shed. I used 4 of those wires and converted it to an RJ45 plug so I can run internet out there and hooked up to my router. It works fine plugged directly into the computer. When I try to hook a splitter up to it (1 line in and 2 lines out) I only get a live line on one of the out ports.

So the question is before I go buying a switch for out there, to have more than 1 live port, is the switch going to work with only the one 4 wire connection? or do you need a full 8 wires to have the in and out in order for the switch to work?

2nd Question: I have a tool for the RJ45 and some connectors, and I've used the wiring for the "A" diagram (previously) which is for direct in and direct out. It says you should use the "B" wiring diagram for a Switch. Is that "A" on the "IN" side and then "B" on the "Out" side or "B" on both sides? Any Ideas?

The splitter is more than likely only passing pins 4 and 5. It you connecting it to a hub/switch it should work just fine. I am guessing that you skipped pins 7 and 8 which would be used for Power Over Ethernet. Not sure about the A and B and if you are talking about A or B standard. As long as you make both ends the same you should be good. If you make it A standard at one end and B standard at the other you would have a cross-over cable. A standard starts with white/green on pin 1 and B standard starts with white/orange on pin 1. Hope this helps

Yes, A standard is white/green, green, white/orange, blue, white/blue, orange, brown, brown/white

I believe the A diagram only uses the green and orange.

The reason I questioned it is because in the description of the B diagram for the crossover, it says it is used with a switch, but dont know if you use the A wire going in and the B going out or it doesn't matter.

Generally speaking, either will work but the B standard is newer so that's the first choice. Typically anything but ancient hubs/switches/routers automatically sense whether a crossover is necessary and configure themselves rather than needing a special crossover cable.

What is feeding this run to the garage? Router, switch, hub, straight from the modem?

I put a box on each end where it has the 8 screws on the back for the raw wires and the the rj45 plug in on the front side. I only hooked up the 4 wires in the A method to get internet out there, dont remember which ones they are at the moment.

The source is directly from the router.

I think you can't simply use a splitter (like a simple parallel connection / "Y" cable). You need at the bare minimum a hub out there to make two from one.

Can one even buy a hub anymore? Pricewise probably just better to get a switch.

A crossover cable is used on some switch gear that don't have crossover ports. Or for PC to PC without a switch/hub between them.

I have yet to see a splitter work at the wired layer. You need an electronic device like a switch or hub to connect 2 or more devices on one uplink.