• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Star Trails - Added Time Lapse

Dbl

Did some experimenting for an upcoming project I hope with the Aurora. I hope to capture a multiple hour time lapse of an outburst. Trying to work out all the kinks so when I get the chance I will have everything down pat.

This shot is 289 photos stacked together to create the one image. Stacking is preferable to a single long exposure because you cut down on noise and you have longer battery life of camera and triggers.

I also used these to make a time lapse. These were shot in town so living in proximity to a major airport has both blessing and curses! The horizontal streaks are obviously planes going by. The background is actually a few clouds going by. It was windy last night so a lot of tree movement as well. The sky is extremely bright in town so it is hard to capture all the stars that are visible, but this was to tweak my technique.

The technicals are ISO 1000 (city lights are bright), aperture f5.6 (lens is sharper here) 20 sec exposures. I set my camera and trigger to take a shot every 30 seconds for a total duration in the 2 to 2 1/2 hour range. I would post the time lapse but video is so small here that you really can't see what is going on.

Star%20Trail-XL.jpg

Blended Time Lapse

Watch more videos here at HSOshow