• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rattling

I personally haven't done any rattling but I saw my first rub tonight so it may be worth a shot. I have lots of smaller bucks on the camera that may have a little curiosity and who knows the big one may come out. I presume your "light" comment would be the most important thing.

My philosophy on rattling is "can't hurt to try it but do no harm" meaning that if I'm hunting in the morning, I'm quiet the first hour, let the natural deer movement send them to me, then go ahead and rattle. In the evening I'll rattle shortly after I'm set up but the last half hour, no rattling, let the deer come to me.

Never had a big buck come into my rattling but two years ago I had a small buck come charging in, stopped about 10 feet away, looking for the rattling. When he couldn't find the other buck, he laid down to rest, you could see his chest heaving, he had been running so hard. Kind of neat. My arms got tired holding the bow up, when I tried to rest it on my seat, he heard me and slowly slunk off. Fun!!

Shot my 1st whitetail buck last year that came to rattling... I've had bucks come to rattling at least once or twice every season and I don't do it all the time. Not until I start seeing a lot of rubs and fresh scrapes in my area. It works well, but I think only the smaller bucks come in. My buck would've been a nice lil 8 pt, but it was a goofy with only the main beam on one side..

full-30035-37598-620703_489218704442137_

Another thing I noticed is once you hit the rattle, if no bucks are in the area, you seldom see any other deer such as does. Just my experience though. So when I'm about to hit the rattles, I accept the fact that I may be keeping other deer from coming to check it out. Though I've had real big bucks come in before and choked on the opportunity..

The week before I killed the above buck, I rattled in a fork in a different area on a drizzly morning and he came charging in and I got footage of him on his second pass (meaning he came in, saw nothing, continued on, got outta sight, I rattled and he came back). It does work.

In regards to rattling - one trick I've used the last few years (in the dark & during prerut/rut) is if it's too dry & noisy to be quiet I'll shuffle my feet and grunt as I get to my stand. I'm not sure if I have any proof that it works but I'never heard anything booger while I'm doing it. I've also seen deer within 1/2 hr or so of getting into my stand. Just a sidenote I thought someone mite like to hear; Also for rattling I make a RUCKUS! Quick story... 1 time I tore a branch off that hindered a shot that never happened. When I was done cussin & had the branch tossed out of the way, I sat back down & looked up to see the 8 pointer that I was mad about not getting a shot at looking right at me! He came right under my stand, all revved up & I missed him. Point is - He came to the thrashing of the branch and nothing else...

I've rattled in mad amounts of bucks, but I'll rattle 9 out of 10 sits I'd bet. I''ve rattled in and shot bucks on opening morning.

Bucks spar from the first day they shed their velvet so light rattling works well.

You wouldn't want to be smashing your antlers or bag right now like a full on fight because that isn't happening in real life. You can start to do that here in a couple weeks though, I normally start that the last week of Oct.