• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

archery help

boXCar JiggY

my daughter of 15 is shooting a parker buckhunter which we bought last year late fall after practicing this summe we just cant seem to get dialed in, shes all over the place, couple ok shots the left field. i ve taught her to keep he hand open, bend the elbow an knees an to find the same anchor point every time. we just recently had a new string put on it but dont remeber how she shot before it was put on. she said the kisser button is missing. they forgot to put it on. But she should be able to find a new anchor point an adjust form there. one thin I noticed is that she shes drawing the string back to her cheek while mine barely touches the tip of my nose, is her draw lenght to long? should I shorten up her draw length ? any help would be aprreciated. thanks

I would bring the bow into an archery shop and have them measure her, adjust it, tune it, and have her put a couple arrows in it while she is there.

Yep, that's the only answer you need. They will be able to watch her form as well and get her going in the right direction.

Sounds like the draw length could be too long and making it hard for her to hold it the same every time. Depending on the bow your only solution might be to buy new cams for it. I don't know anything about your model to say for certain. The manufacturer can also help answer that question.

As for a kisser button, you don't need anything fancy, I use a regular brass nock set. Like one of these: saundrs_nokset.jpg

Agree it sounds a little long. If it doesn't have a hard backstop she could be creeping forward and not even know it.

Can you hold a decent group with it? I can hold a decent group with my sons bow. I just bend my elbow a little more when shooting his bow. At least then you know the equipment itself is fine.

You might consider a different shop than the one that forgot her kisser button. Though if she's using a peep I'm not a big fan of kissers nor feel she needs one, hard to trust a shop that doesn't re-set everything exactly the same. Though they may have a guy that really knows how to teach and can work well with people, especially females. I always enjoyed teaching the fairer sex because they tended to listen and had no preconceived notions compared to us guys who already know everything. smile I'm also not a big fan of shooting open handed unless they're using a sling AND they let it stay open on the shot instead of gripping or grabbing it. Much better in my opinion to seat the grip into the heel of their palm and relax the fingers, letting them curl and touching the tips of the fingers to the front of the grip, not wrapping them around where they can grab the bow on the shot and possibly add torque. Better to let the bow jump forward on the shot and hit the fingers tips, which are right there. And it does sound like the draw length is too long, especially if it feels different to her than it did before. They may not have put the exact right string length on or set it up identically to what it was before, but ask them to check it again and work with her a bit.

well i took it to a old room mate of mine whos been int the archery realm for 28 yrs an an withing ten minuets found out the the string i had the boys at Big C put on had put in on wrong. the company that made the bow had taken the the top cam an put on the bottom an the bottom cam an put on the top to acommadate for the bow being left handed, there fore the string was put on with the idea of it being right handed which actualy lengthen her draw length. even set at it lowest length of 26 she was drawing about 28.5 plus the peep serving were so loose that one could move them up an down with there fingers, the rubber tub could easily move the peep when drawing the bow plus the energy of release. so now shes in a baseball. Thanks guys.

well i took it to a old room mate of mine whos been int the archery realm for 28 yrs an an withing ten minuets found out the the string i had the boys at Big C put on had put in on wrong. the company that made the bow had taken the the top cam an put on the bottom an the bottom cam an put on the top to acommadate for the bow being left handed, there fore the string was put on with the idea of it being right handed which actualy lengthen her draw length. even set at it lowest length of 26 she was drawing about 28.5 plus the peep serving were so loose that one could move them up an down with there fingers, the rubber tub could easily move the peep when drawing the bow plus the energy of release. so now shes in a baseball. Thanks guys.

Wow! That's amazing that ANYONE would do something like that. Let that be a lesson to you. (and everyone else) Find a true archery pro-shop in your area that you like and trust, and let them take proper care of your equipment.