• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you guys think?

ZachD

So I was looking at some public land that is close to the house to hunt on weekdays and a lot of it is really thick cover that a stand wouldn't be good unless I could cut shooting lanes. I did find a deer trail that went from the snowmobile trail about 20 yards into the woods that LED to a small clearing (20 yards by 20 yards) and leads into some cat tails and there is a trail going into them. I found some tracks in the clearing and some droppings. There is one tree at the edge of the clearing that I could put a stand up but the only possible shot is about 15 yards wide if they are coming out or entering the cat tails. Do you think it is worth the sit? Have any of you had a stand that there is a very small shot window? The spot is pretty far from the main parking down the snowmobile trail but the clearing is only 3 yards from the trail but I don't think that people walking by should be too much of a problem. I only saw one small game hunter when I was out and he was a good mile away from the spot. Any thoughts?

It has got to be better then your couch wink

Some hunters have good luck hunting tight quarters, I like to see the deer for awhile before I have to pull up my bow. I dont like being surprised and have to hurry and get my bow up, then aim.

the only possible shot is about 15 yards wide if they are coming out or entering the cat tails.

I've hunted many times with much less of a window than 15 yards. If it's your "Gotta get out for a weeknight sit" spot, I'd hunt it. Got a trail cam you can put out so you can get an idea of what's going on and when?

I do but

"Tree stands, boats, decoys, and other equipment, except traps, must be removed daily"

I think I will give it a shot next week though. I know there are some big boys on this land but I am not counting on seeing any in this spot. It is an intensive harvest zone so I am just looking for a couple does

What do you have to lose? If you're only going to get out 3 times this season I probably wouldn't, but assuming you're going to hunt a bunch of times, give it a shot. Learning new areas, finding those spots other people have missed is a lot of the fun.

That's the only type of land that I have available to me... I.e. thick stuff. I have had pretty good luck in that type of environment but you do have to be much more alert and rely on your hearing a lot more. There are times I have had deer within 15 yards of me and can barely visually identify the animal.

I would encourage you to try it. Utilize the weather and try to hunt it when there's less wind so you can hear better.