• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Berg Bros and Red Setters?

Moose-Hunter

Known Ben and Scott for about 15 years. About as knowledgeable of dog guys as there are. If I were considering a dog from Ben I would make an appt to stop in the kennel meet him see the dogs and let him know what you are looking for. Straight shooters who wont sell you something just to get a check...you will be impressed with the operation I'm certain.

As for the red setters, yes they were allowed to be bred back to English setters to get the hunt back into them after the breed was almost ruined from show breeders breeding for looks instead of performance. You will still see some dogs with white patches here and there but it has been a while since this was done and they are considered their own breed. Nice dogs, and I have seen some real nice ones.

I have a Red Setter, he didn't come directly from Bergs but they are in his bloodlines. Augie was his sire.

We like him a lot. He's a great house dog all year long, and in the fall we hunt him on grouse, woodcock and pheasants. He was trained in his first year but hasn't had any formal training since. This will be his 4th season of hunting. I don't know a thing about field trials or competitions and I have no idea what his potential is for anything like that, but for a family hunting dog we love him.

He retrieves birds but he doesn't play catch or fetch with the kids, that's really my only complaint about him.