• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rifle scope mount

SAX

Good evening,

I am buying a new scope for my rifle and the cheapest I can find it is online with free shipping. I am looking for recommendations on where to have it mounted and bore sighted? I live near Blaine. The easiest place would be gander mountain in Blaine but I have come to hate that place. How much am I looking to spend on just having it mounted and bore sighted if I have already have a scope and the mounts?

Thanks Gents!

it could cost zero if you do it yourself. I assume you never have, a little you tube work and your set. It's really simple. You can also bore sight it yourself with zero tools, if its a bolt action by having it in a solid rest and line the barrel up with a dot on the opposite wall and before tightening the scope in the rings getting it aligned with the dot. Once you get it close you can fine tune with scopes windage and elevation knobs.

The best is to have a gun cleaning vice but I did one last weekend on the tailgate of my pick up at the cabin. I didn't have a vice so I cut out two ends out of a cardboard box and set the gun in that. I believe it was the third or fourth scope I've mounted in my life and it was as easy as the first one.

Just a suggestion, also if you do don't use loc tite, causes more problems than it helps.

Mounting a scope is a skill every hunter should know. Its as easy as turning a screw. leechlake says not to use loctite, but I use blue (only blue) loctite, and ONLY for the base. The 4 (sometimes 8) allen bolts that hold the scope in the mount do not seem to come loose. If you do it yourself, make sure you tighten the base as tight as you dare (loctite optional), this is where they come loose from. To mount the scope you get the allen bolts just about snug, and then the most important part. Your scope has got to be perfectly level with the gun. There are tools to help with this, but what I did was draw a strait line straight up and down (used a level) and lined up my gun in a leadsled. Then I lined the cross hairs up with the line and tightened it. You tighten the bolts on oposite side like changing a tire. These bolts don't need to be too tight. The recommendation is somewhere in the 10-20 inch pounds range. I just used the short end of an allen wrench and used my thumb to find "snug".