• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best way to trap nuisance mink that is killing our pheasant chicks?

I'm pretty positive it is a mink, because I think I saw it one day running out of the barn. We were finding piles of dead pheasant chicks and originally thought they were flying into the chicken wire fence and breaking their necks until I saw a glimpse of what I thought was a varmit. It took out almost 200 young pheasants in a hurry. Anyway, what is the best method to trap this dang thing? Do I have to wait for season or since this is killing our chicks can we do it when-ever? Thanks

I would try to funnel it into a 160 or 220 on the edge of the pen. Otherwise try to find his access point and stick a trap in that. Take care of business now, no mink is worth losing pheasant chicks.
I agree 100% direct it to either traps or a cheaper way is wire snares,Block all accesses cept one set there.One taste of easy food and a mink will keep it up till any food is gone.

Mainbutter - It is my understanding that a citizen can kill animals that are destroying personal property. I have bear problems quit often and the DNR has told me that I can kill them if they are getting into the chicken pen or whatever... They rarely, if ever, trap them any more...

DC