• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1992 Polaris 350 4x4 ATV Carb help

AaronM

Hello all,

This 'wheeler hasn't been ran much in the past few years. Now, it won't idle. When trying to run full throttle, it will only run with the choke half open.

Now, I am not mechanically inclined in the slightest fashion. It seems that the carbs are in need of being cleaned. Interested in learning, and not interested in $60 per hour at the local shop.

Anyway, here we go.

The main jet looked okay. The Pilot might be my issue. Hard to tell, seemed to have slight obstruction.

DSCN1280_zps599ea913.jpg

This is after soaking in some gas, but the bowl was pretty good. Just a little junk at the bottom.

DSCN1283_zps5b5ca4a4.jpg

Not sure what the name for this black piece is, but it's on the bottom of the float bowl. There was just a piece of hose on, not connected to anything. No idea where it needs to be hooked up to, if it indeed should have somewhere to go.

DSCN1281_zpsb42899fb.jpg

Still dirty around here. Cleaned some with a rag, might try to tidy things up a bit more while I'm at it - (place for the above around here somewhere?)

DSCN1278_zps1a5f0d2a.jpg

Also found this laying around - no idea where it goes, or where it came from.

DSCN1284_zps470de92b.jpg

Do I need to purchase a kit, or can I just clean the above and reuse? I do need to get a new gasket. Also thinking if I should get some jet cleaning wire. Any input or direction would be much appreciated.

Sounds like the pilot jet is your problem. Hold it up to a bright light and you should be able to see light through the very tiny office. If not, You need to clean it out and even the smallest wire on a torch tip cleaner may be too small, ( but will sometimes work) I had to file one down to fit most pilots.

Not sure what black piece you mean unless you are asking about the round black things in the bowl which are the floats themselves. If the bowl gasket is still pliable you could possibly get away with just cleaning, but the needle valve may leak if it has become hardened and should probably be replaced. On something that old, a kit would be the best way to avoid redoing it again. The hose with the valve usually connects to the carb and serves as an overflow or "bowl vent" but you will have to look it over to find the fitting where it goes. If it is an easy one to remove you could give it a try with just cleaning and do it over with parts if need be.

Good luck......

Thanks much - just ordered the kit.

The "black thing" that I was wondering about is in picture three, and I believe it is the bowl vent (as you mentioned, the piece I found is probably supposed to be attatched there). Now that we've identified where it goes on the carb, where is the other end supposed to connect to?

Thank you!

Got it all back together - idles nice now. It will still occasionally get up to speed ~35 MPH, lose power until it drops to ~20 MPH, then get going again. Almost seems like it boggs down.

Any ideas?

New spark plug, new gas.

Have you checked the fuel flow from the tank? Could be the fuel strainer in the tank is partially plugged or it could have an inline fuel filter that is plugged. I dont think they used a fuel pump back then, so you should be able to disconnect the fuel line at the carb, turn on the fuel petcock and let it drain into a container for a bit to see if the flow is good. If not, you'll have to replace the filter (good idea anyway) or clean the tank strainer. If it is flowing ok, you may have to go back inside the carb and recheck the float level.