• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So My Motor $&!* Out On Me

TMF89

I have a 2001 Yamaha F115 Four-Stroke, just got it tuned up this spring. I've had it out for roughly a weeks worth of days on the water. We were out on the MN river last week, and it started up just fine, fished a couple spots, no problem, then quit. It started clicking like the battery/starter was bad. Eventually it quit clicking (like we wore the battery down). We drifted downstream and were able to recover the boat at the landing. I threw a jumper pack on the battery, more clicking with a hint of smoke smell. My buddy told me he thinks the starter is burnt out. So I charged the starter battery overnight to make sure it was good, then with the charger still on, tried starting the boat in my garage. No bunny ears, I just wanted to see if she'd turn over. Well I got just a few clicks, and a ton of smoke. It wasn't billowing, but the air in and around the boat was definitely hazy. Smelt like burnt rubber/electrical/I'm no mechanic but it definitely wasn't good. I'm sure I'll have to take it into a shop, but any ideas what I'm dealing with? Thanks guys.

I know, first problem in 12 years! Would the starter going out cause that much smoke? It wasn't so thick you couldn't see, but there was quite a bit. Seemed to leak out from all over the engine housing.

Now that the smoke has settled... do you see anything obvious that is melted?

With that much smoke it should be fairly visible unless it is inside the starter.

But like the others said, taking it to a shop would be the safest bet.

If you are lucky it will only be the starter.

Sounds like a starter to me. The description of the smoke sounds like wire insulation burning because the starter is drawing too much current.

I wouldn't turn the key again until it's fixed.

Just my uneducated guess.

Now that the smoke has settled... do you see anything obvious that is melted?

With that much smoke it should be fairly visible unless it is inside the starter.

But like the others said, taking it to a shop would be the safest bet.

If you are lucky it will only be the starter.

+1