• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Road Trip!!!

Scoot

I took a little road trip last week and was in Southern MN for most of the week. I didn't have a ton of free time, but one afternoon I got to do a little goofing off. I ran down to Chatfield, MN to the Pope and Young Museum and checked the place out. I only had my cell phone camera, so the pics aren't great.

IMAG0067_zps21fa50dd.jpg

Inside I found a ton of really cool stuff! I was really impressed with all of the information on Art Young, Saxton Pope, Ishi, Fred Bear, Glen St. Charles, and many others. It was pretty cool for an archery geek like me.

IMAG0059_zps7f19ef4d.jpg

IMAG0058_zpsaa68e48c.jpg

IMAG0057_zpsbb2691be.jpg

As you would guess, there were bows of every shape and size.

IMAG0066_zpse9fa55f7.jpg

All kinds of mounts.

IMAG0065_zpsf69cf864.jpg

IMAG0060_zps0a206a85.jpg

IMAG0063_zpsd03f9049.jpg

An incredible collection of broadheads (the world's largest, I think).

IMAG0061_zps330738e7.jpg

In total, the museum was very cool and I'm glad I went there. I'd have loved to run a couple dozen questions by the curator of the museum, but he was busy with a couple other groups of people, so I left him alone.

After I was done with the museum I headed for a state park nearby for a workout. I drove up to Whitewater State Park and hiked around for a while. NoWiser, a fellow HSOer and future elk hunting addict, told me about a fire tower just North of there by the town of Elba. I ran up there and strapped on my weighted pack and climbed the hill and the tower. It was a hot muggy day and it gave me a good workout! I was rewarded with a very cool view when I got to the top of the tower.

IMAG0068_zps2e73f524.jpg

I had a good time with a pretty small window of time to goof off down there. I really enjoyed the museum, the park, and the workout at the firetower. If anyone is in that area, I recommend you check out all three of those places!

Cool! I had no idea the Pope & Young Museum was in Chatfield. Next time I drive through there I'll have to stop and check it out for sure.

I'm glad you were able to make the small detour on your way down so we could meet up. It was nice to get to meet you and chat a bit. Maybe if our paths cross after this hunting season we'll have to grab a cold beverage and exchange some stories! My girlfriend was also glad I didn't end up in some hole in a basement after meeting "the guy from some internet hunting chat page."

My girlfriend was also glad I didn't end up in some hole in a basement after meeting "the guy from some internet hunting chat page."

eek My wife has had the same thoughts a few times too. Ya just never know...glad to hear Scoot is okay. grin

My girlfriend was also glad I didn't end up in some hole in a basement after meeting "the guy from some internet hunting chat page."

Bawahahahahaha! My wife said essentially the same thing! "You just met him on the internet and you're going to meet him to trade hunting gear? What if he's a serial killer???" You passed the "sniff test" a while ago, NoWiser. You seem at least as normal as me (which is a pretty low bar, but definitely above the "chop 'em up and throw the parts in the cellar" cut off crazy). I'm glad we got to meet- it's nice to put a face with a name and shake a person's hand.

glad to hear Scoot is okay. grin

You and me both!! After hearing he climbed the Elba firetower with 70 lbs on his back, there is no way I could have out ran him, and all I had for self defense was an elk bugle! shocked Still don't know what all that thumping was about that was coming from his trunk, though eek

Yes, the place is awesome if you are into archery. Stopped there not that long ago and was worth the time spent there. Could take one back in time with some of the archery equipment one use to use.

Good to hear you stop and enjoyed your time there Scoot.