• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mercury getting too much fuel

jdog

ive got a 2000 mercury 60 hp and when it first starts up it seems to be getting too much gas but when i disconnect the gas line from the motor it runs like a champ so i was wondering if anyone else has a similar problem or if anyone knows of any kind of cure the carbs have been cleaned a couple different times it does seem to act up alittle bit more when the motor is tilted up thanks for any help im at my wits end

If its flooding when it's down all the way, as well as tilted up, then it's possible the floats are set too high. Tilting also may allow gas to free flow through the main jet, not uncommon for some engines to flood when tilted too high.

Had that happen to me this spring. I have a 25H with 6 gallon portable plastic tank that is pretty new. What Shakopee Marine found out was that my gas tank didn't breath/vent. So when the pressure would build up the only place it could go was to the connection on my merc.Thus flodding. It was hard to start when the pressure in the tank was high. They cut a small slit in the breather valve and works fine now. So there's that, don't know if you have built in tank or portable.

To check float height, you essentially tip the carb over with the bowl off, and use calipers to measure from the bottom of the float, to where the float touches. Measuring is only really needed for high performance engines like dirtbikes, drag cars, etc. The easy way to do it, is to make sure it is parallel with that surface. Someone might have a picture how to, but most to the carbs I have taken apart use a metal tang to set the height, you bend that just a little bit at a time until you get the level you want. Also check to make sure the needle is in good shape, and assembled right.

You might have a brass float, chech it to see if it has gas inside, it might be a foam float, they are treated so they will not soak up fuel. The chemical that is used will in time will break down and the float will not register right, Alochol in fuel will do this. I would just change the float if it is foam.