• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good spots to solo hunt on foot?

Do to schedual differances, I am now hunting solo on the weekends. I have wadders, a gun and some decoys. I am just trying to find spots that aren't overcrouded and can be accessed on foot. I live in the south metro, and have hit rice lake in the past, but the hunters seem to outnumber the birds. Any help?

I knew that, I was looking for a spot in the south metro, that will not be a zoo this weekend. I usually hunt with superfish2, but he is working on the weekends, so that is not an option. I am thinking of the bever pond off of north lake, but am open to any suggestions.

Any public land that you would want to hunt is going to be a zoo this weekend because this is the pheasant opener. Especially if its near the metro.

Even if you're in a duck pond or on a lake you can bet that all the extra shooting and people walking fields in blaze will keep any new birds spooky.

I got out twice this week, and saw a lot of birds, I just want to take advantage of this cold front pushing the norther birds down. I only have a goose on the season in 5-6 outings, I have also shot sparingly, as the early part was slow. I thought that pheasant opener might ease off of the ducks on Sunday. Oh well. Thanks guys,

Trany

Hey Trany,
I'm in the same boat as you.....or the lack thereof. I've got my gun, waders and some dekes, but not much else. I've been out 3 times this week and seen 6 ducks...all of them were last night and they were definately locals. Very spooky birds.

I live in Eden Prairie and hunt most of the time to the west and SW of the metro. I have seen next to nothing when I've been out. I haven't taken a single bird and only fired twice.

TRANY & POWERSTROKE

I don't know how willing either of you might be,but I can offer this.
If you want to be in Cambridge area around 5:00am,you guys can tag along with me.I have a few boats and I hunt north of Cambridge about 15 miles +or-.I know you guys are looking for more southern areas but,this was the only way I could help & you never know what distance people are willing to travle.

If you feel like joing me,I'll be at the gas station off hwy 65 & main st (theres also an Embers or something too) around 5:00am in a white GMC safari.It will just be me for the hunt as I do hunt alone a lot.

Otherwise,have a great weekend and goodluck to you all smile.gif

------------------
Greg

how much water is in rice creek anyway? If thats where you are going. I have a 12ft shallow boat I have been in there with a few years bck... Just wonderin.

Quote:

Thanks for the offer, but I will decline. Cambridge is a haul and especially at 5am.

That's exactly why you cannot find any birds!!!

On an average weekend...we'll drive 6-700 miles. Time that is often spent staring at empty skies are better off spent behind the wheel looking for ducks elsewhere.

If you hunt the Metro area...at least within 45 minutes...if you do not have a secret little hole to shoot...expect to see very few ducks and shoot even fewer. This should come as no suprise.

Trashdux,

Some of us can't afford to put 700 mile on a vehicle in a weekend just to look for birds. I hunt in the metro because I can't afford the gas and hotel to go anywhere else, at least until my house is paid off. I have to pick my weekend out of town, during duck season, to coincide with my deer hunting trip. But I am hunting duck and pheasant for one week, then I deer hunt for 4 days, come back to the metro and hunt ducks for 4 more days, before I go back to work.

I put on about 300 miles last week looking for ducks and unfortunately I found less than a dozen. I was out of state during the weekend though when the weather was better for ducks.

Crappiebait- Thanks for the offer. Keep me in mind next time. I was out of state for a wedding or I woulda been there with bells on.....I mean waders.

You've got mail.

And the water is up on rice. Its a good foot or two higher then last year, and there isn't as much much on the bottom. I have seen birds and taken a few shots, but getting out almost two hours isn't enugh time to get some of the better spots on foot. It seems that on the weekends there is always a dozen or so groups already out there a little after 5am. I am also not opposed to driving to a spot, but I do work in the evenings and cant spend all day driving.

If you know of any south metro or minnesota spots for after deer hunting I have a boat,dog,dekes and evrything else needed. I try to get out a couple times after the lakes and/or ponds freeze up. I know some good walkin spots in the north metro but can be a little congested on the weekends. Gets much better as a the season goes on untill freeze-up

Good Luck

Ron