• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What kind of bird??

Susieq

I see a few of these birds in the fields around my house. I thought maybe a lark bunting until I swathe head. Then I thought Yellow-headed blackbird until I looked closer at the head and noticed his face is black. Sorry the pictures aren't more clear.full-35473-34281-3.png

full-35473-34282-2.png

full-35473-34283-1.png

Thanks, Shutterbug.

I have tried to get a good picture but when he is closer to the road I am on my way to work and can't stop. Then I see it on my way home and he is too far away. Maybe one of these days I will get a good shot of one. It didn't help it was windy today.

They do seem pretty wary. There is a spot 25 miles away where I can park and wait, but that takes a lot of patience. Eventually, one will show up in the area and I just have to hope for the best. Here is my only attempt to date. It's a pretty huge crop so there is a lot of room for improvement. Good luck in your quest.

9073356910_6dbe4c50cb_c.jpg

Nice picture. What kind of camera do you use? My Nikkon D40 got dropped and I haven't replaced it. I bought a cheap one that takes ok pictures but not like my Nikkon. It is a little more portable.

Not sure if these two are the same.

full-35473-34323-1.png

full-35473-34324-8.png

full-35473-34325-3.png

I saw a couple of these birds in our road ditch this morning on my way to church. If it hadn't been for this thread, I would have had no idea what they were. smile

Now I just need to see if I can find them when I have my camera in hand.

That's about as crisp and sharp as you can get. And very typical poses to boot. I know we've had some bobolinks down in the wetland area but the mosquitoes would devour me long before I'd get close enough to get a glimpse. Very nice photos. cool

Thanks Mark. It took several little drives to finally find a cooperative one but it was a mission for me. There aren't many birds left in this area that I haven't photographed. Surprisingly, I still need a Common yellow-throat. I can't ever locate one out in the open. I also need a Red-headed Woodpecker and Kestrel in a natural setting. I just don't know what I'm going to do when and if I run out of birds. crazy

I went for a short drive last evening and the Bobolinks were as thick as thieves. I'm guessing I saw at least a dozen at one time, sitting in the tall grasses, flying over the grasses, on the gravel road and on a highline wire. When I went by the same spot 1/2 hour later, they had all disappeared. There wasn't one left to be seen. It's way too early to be grouping up for migration.

I got one of the red-headed Woodpecker. It wasn't the best but I got one. My dogs were going nuts which didn't help. I put it on here under my husband's acct - Gatores titled Back Yard Birds