• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Duluth to McQuade's fishing

Hi all, does anyone have any information about how the fishing has been along the shore from Duluth to around McQuade's landing? What have you caught, on what, what depths, etc? Thank you very much...just wanting to know when the time is right to make the trip.

Going to be putting in at McQuade around 3:00 pm this Thursday. Only my second time out with my own boat. I have riggers and dipseys, no planer boards. Any thoughts on running stick baits with an 8' leader behind a 3 to 4 ounce inline sinker to get me down 30 feet or so a ways behind the boat but over the rigger lines? I have 12' rods to run the dipseys out the side of the boat and I have 2 other guys with me so I am just trying to think of a way to get 6 lines in the water without having to invest in leadcore and/or planer boards.

Going to be putting in at McQuade around 3:00 pm this Thursday. Only my second time out with my own boat. I have riggers and dipseys, no planer boards. Any thoughts on running stick baits with an 8' leader behind a 3 to 4 ounce inline sinker to get me down 30 feet or so a ways behind the boat but over the rigger lines? I have 12' rods to run the dipseys out the side of the boat and I have 2 other guys with me so I am just trying to think of a way to get 6 lines in the water without having to invest in leadcore and/or planer boards.

The fish have been about 30-60 feet down. The riggers have produced few fish but the dipseys have worked great.I've been using spoons but sticks would work. Why not run two dispseys on each side, the rod nearer to the bow set on 3, the next one at a one, and then the downriggers? Oh, and the small and medium size dipseys have worked better than the larger sizes

Good luck and watch the conditions. The fishing has been decent and I've picked up some numbers near Duluth/Superior entrys

He could also run an 8-16 oz snap weigts off the corners and one down the chute for a seven line spread or 2 dypsies, the riggers with stackers and a 8-16 oz ball down the chute for a nine line spread.

Tunrevir~

Thanks for the advice Junkie, i think that setup sounds like my ticket for this trip. Tunrevir, maybe someday when I have a few more trips under my belt I will give your suggested setup a try. I have only seen the stackers on riggers once in my life while fishing with Barry from Whitewater Charter and from what I recall wasn't too bad for setting up. Anyways, the three of us are going to give it a go as long as the weather man earns his money and is right about his wind prediction or lack of wind and with a little luck I will hopefully be posting pictures from the water.

Purple, Purple/Pink and Purple/Green were what the fish wanted this evening. 153' of water was the magic number except for the first laker we picked up just a few minutes after wetting the lines in 171'. Spoon on a down rigger set at 60' got hit a couple times but nothing hooked. 45mm dipseys with spoons in colors list above set at 0(200-250' back) and 3(100-120' back) worked for lakers and one large King that we had halfway into the net before the treble got snagged on the net and it got free. Ended with 3 lakers boated, 1 laker lost at the boat and the king mentioned above. Fished until after dark but the king we lost was around 8:45 and that was the last of our action for the night.

Yup, put in at Mcquade around 4:00 and started just south of the shipping lane marker then headed on a straight path for the lone tall structure that we could see on the shoreline to the east of the lift bridge. We tried the area where we picked up the first laker after taking one guy into shore but didn't get anymore hits or really even mark anything for that matter. 153' was our huckleberry last last. It was dark when we loaded and the weed/water patrol at the landing was gone, we were the last truck in the parking lot.

Also forgot to mention that we were finding a lot of our strikes we coming shortly after cracking a bud light, giving the first drink to the lake, then slip the can cooler on and give the second drink to the fish. Not too much, just 1/4 of an oz or so. Not sure why, but a drink to each the lake and the fish separately with the can cooler install in between seems to be producing more fish than just giving them one drink to share.

Launched out of Rice's pt and headed out of the Duluth entrance yesterday morning. Slow bite with few fish marked. Ended with only 2 strikes on the down riggers and caught a nice 31 inch laker in 125 fow, 45ft down on orange/yellow/black dot spoon. The other strike was on the wonderbread spoon. Headed back in before noon. Returned to the same area and caught an 11 inch coho in the first few minutes. Marked a few more fish, but went 1for2 again. Called it early when the storm pushed through. slow day, but nice to see all the boats out closer to shore.

Heading out of McQuade at 3 today. Any advice? It has been slow trolling spoons. I have seen a many boats in close to shore recently, but I am not picking much up on the depth finder when I head in to 40 fow. We might try jigging today for lakers, any thoughts? I have not tried it for lake trout.

Went out of Duluth Sat. am and actually used leadcore for the first time and picked up a couple in about 70ish feet of water. Anything spoons with green was the ticket. Sun., the north wind was strong so launched out of McQuade but managed one salmon 150 feet of water about 30 feet down with dipseys. Picked that one off a stick...floating raps.

Never be afraid of shallower water. I used to think you had to go deep in the heat of the summer but have picked up many a fish in shallower water, mostly early mornings, July and August.

Just got back in and finally caught more than one fish (results of last 3 outings). We launched out of the Duluth entrance around 3pm and started fishing in 50 fow off of Fitgers. Quickly got a 20" king on orange, yellow spoon with black dots. It was on the down rigger set at 35ft. that same setup caught 2 more kings 16" and 22". caught our 4th king on a fire tiger stick bait on the other down rigger set a 35ft. we stayed in 45 to 75 fow. Did not mark anything and we did not get a strike on planer boards, lead core or dispels. Very strange. Had two misses, both on the down riggers. 4 for 6 was a nice change.