• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carb Cleaning Opinion Please Maybe Marine Man?

So I have had performance issues on the water and have talked about it in other threads here.

Basically at times my boat seems sluggish, RPM's shoot up and the motor/boat seems to slow down and then it's like it catches. This can be when I take off and when I'm planed out.

I have replaced

Fuel Line

Fuel Filter

Fuel Pumps

Prop is not slipping

Added sea foam to gas tank

One thing is that I have 2 21 gallon tanks and always try to have gas in them because my fuel gages don't work. I'm working on that.

I'm wondering because I do not cycle through all that gas during the season maybe my carbs need to be cleaned. I have a 96 200HP Yamaha it's a V6. I looked at them and realized its like 6 carbs frown I thought this might be well past my skill level so I stopped by a local shop that was recommended and the guy seems decent but he said it would take like 4 hours and he's $85 an hour. Throw 2 mores hours on top to just fix my NAV lights and sending units (figured while it was there) he said it takes time because you have to sync the carbs after the cleaning.

There is no way I can afford that or even really close to that. So I either try doing this myself or park the boat for the year and save the money.

My buddy just left a message asking if I wanted to work on the carbs Sunday.

How hard is this to do?

Do I have to do some sort of syncing after they are cleaned?

Should I drain the fuel tanks of all the gas?

Or is it time to park it.

Over 30 years in the marine business here. Not an expert on Yamaha but in my opinion, you do not have carburation problems. If your RPM's go up and your speed drops, you are cavitating, meaning your prop is slipping in the water. Have you tried a different prop? Is this a new boat to you? Has the engine height been changed? Is the cavitation plate even with or just a hair above the bottom of the boat? feel free to email me at one of the websites listed in the signature line

Your description fits the situation where the prop is grabbing air, spinning, then grabbing water again. Usually an easy fix with a combination of set up, trim, and driving experience with your particular boat.

Start by trying to figure out what's up with the prop you have. I have a Tempest Plus 23" (Mercury hub) that we could try if you van come up with the correct thrust washer. A1 in Annandale should be able to help with that.

Oh yeah I am. I've already kind of talked to him.

I just have to get my stuff put back together. Hopefully today I can get that done unless the wife decides that she needs help doing something :|

Do you guy think it would hurt to remove 1 of my gas tanks and move the other one to in the middle of the back of the boat? Currently they both sit on each side in the back.

he said it takes time because you have to sync the carbs after the cleaning.

Just an FYI....."synchronizing carbs" is one of those magic voo-doo terms that marine mechanics throw out there to scare the common boat owner. Some engines require multiple vacuum gauges to synch the carbs while running the engine. But for marine carbs, the recommended method is just a visual procedure.

It is a visual confirmation that the butterflies all open and close at the same time and to the same stop points. A feeler gauge, a headlight, and two screwdrivers and the average Joe can do as good a job as anyone.