• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motherboard issues

I have a Gigabyte G1 Sniper Rev 3 motherboard in my PC that I built last fall. Everything was working great.

System Specs:

Quote:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 EATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Seagate Constellation ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case

Optical Drive: Plextor PX-LB950SA Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

Monitor: Dell 24.0" Monitor

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit)

So Last Monday I shut everything down, and pulled the plugs because I was painting the office. Got it all put back together on Thursday evening and it worked fine.

Then I go to use it on Friday evening and the box is cycling. Wants to fire up and then shuts down after about 2 seconds. Then it waits for about 5-8 seconds then tries to fire up again...same cycle.

I tried pulling the power to the motherboard and then hitting the reset button on the motherboard and that didn't cure anything.

The MB is flashing error code 15. I sent an email in to the Gigabyte help center but they must only work M-F. So I figured I would cast a line out here to see if anyone has had this issue.

Online I keep coming up with BIOS updates, but that doesn't do me any good if I cant get the PC up and running first.

I'm going to try to remove the video card next and see if it fires up.

Any idea folks?

I unplugged the monitor.

I tried to use 2 sticks of ram instead of 4 and rotated them, then it started constantly beeping and flashed error 53. Even after I put all 4 back in.

I have also taken out the video card but nothing has changed.

in the manual, it says constant short beeps are power supply issue. but cant find what error code 53 is.

The manual I found online says that error code 50-55 results when a "memory initialization error occurs".

Error code 15: "Pre-memory North-Bridge initialization is started".

Scouted around some sites and found this to try:

Quote:
I have the same problem. I fixed it by taking everything out [i.E ram, gpu, sound(if you have one), any usb devices, and the cmos battery] (leave your CPU seated with cooling of course. Then you would use a jumper by the BIOS switch located on the bottom middle of the MOBO and leave it for a good half hour unplugged if you have the patience to wait a day I'm sure it'll work as well.

After you have waited, take jumper out and place CMOS battery back in and try to start it without GPU and RAM to purposely trip a error to see if your MOBO is working correctly. If you hear a beeping from the MOBO speaker then you should be good. Reseat everything and start it up, it should be good. Hope this helps

Proper clearing CMOS and leaving it sit for over 10 minutes with no battery or power would be my first attempt.

Short of that I found others who ended up getting a refund or replacement motherboard in the end.

The manual I found online says that error code 50-55 results when a "memory initialization error occurs".

Error code 15: "Pre-memory North-Bridge initialization is started".

Do you have the link in your browser history yet? I found a 128 page pdf manual but didn't see any thing about error codes listed. Maybe I missed it.

Turns out ya have to hold down the CMOS reset button for 5-10 seconds. grin

I thought you just had to push it in.

Got it back up and running with 1 stick of ram, then added the 2nd and all was still good.

Then went back out to add the other 2 sticks and then it errored out again. So I have a bad stick of RAM or slots 2 & 4 are bad on the mother board.

You could fire it up with the suspect sticks of RAM in the known good slots and see what happens.

Taking out the cmos battery for more than 10 to 20 minutes to clear it should trump any reset jumpers, buttons or procedures. wink

You could fire it up with the suspect sticks of RAM in the known good slots and see what happens.

Taking out the cmos battery for more than 10 to 20 minutes to clear it should trump any reset jumpers, buttons or procedures. wink

I took it apart again and subbed out the number 1 slot ram with the 2 remaining pieces.

It failed with each of them in the number one slot.

So it would seem that I killed two DDR3 memory chips some how?

Good thing I got 4 to begin with.

The electronics in PCs are like light bulbs, stuff goes without warning or apparent reason.

+1 and especially regarding DDR3 memory. There is a reason why you can buy a Gig of DDR3 at the fraction of the price of DDR2 or older versions of DIMM. wink

I took it apart again and subbed out the number 1 slot ram with the 2 remaining pieces.

It failed with each of them in the number one slot.

So it would seem that I killed two DDR3 memory chips some how?

Good thing I got 4 to begin with.

I thought those RAM slots were paired... Meaning if one chip or one slot goes bad the pair goes bad...

Not an expert by any means, just a DIY'r.

I did hear that they have to be in pairs, because the slots on the MB are color coded Green on 1 & 3 and Black on 2 & 4.

I didn't realize that they go bad in pairs though...but I guess it would make sense.

Now i'm going to see if they have a warranty on them? wink

+1 and especially regarding DDR3 memory. There is a reason why you can buy a Gig of DDR3 at the fraction of the price of DDR2 or older versions of DIMM. wink

Goes to show you should not pet the cat while working on your motherboard.