• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pre-Emergent timing??

LunkerLover84

I'm wondering if I should wait until after this upcoming cold snap to put down a pre-emergent/fert application. My soil temps are around 50-54 degrees so the temps are right, but will the cold snap affect how well the pre-emergent works?? I was initially planning on putting it down tomorrow before the rain and cold hit but now i'm starting to second guess myself. Any thoughts?

I think im going to wait on mine. The temps need to be 55+ at sunrise for 3 days in a row for germination. We havent had any days above 55 yet, and with this cold snap coming it maybe a couple weeks before we do.

I think im going to wait on mine. The temps need to be 55+ at sunrise for 3 days in a row for germination. We havent had any days above 55 yet, and with this cold snap coming it maybe a couple weeks before we do.

Just to clarify

he means the soil temps need to be 55 degrees for 3 consecutive days..not the air temp.

I stuck a meat thermometer in a couple spots in the yard last weekend and it was 60 degrees. I checked it in the afternoon and not the morning but worse case scenario, I have got fertilizer down. Too much stuff to do and not enough time to do it right, its time to fish!!

I have always been a follower of the lilac bloom scenario. I watch the neighbors lilac bushes and put it down as I seem them almost start to bloom. This year being the way it has been I will make sure to get it down by the 20th of May if they haven't bloomed by then. I read this on the U of M HSOforum. Anyone else every hear that?

JP

I have always been a follower of the lilac bloom scenario. I watch the neighbors lilac bushes and put it down as I seem them almost start to bloom. This year being the way it has been I will make sure to get it down by the 20th of May if they haven't bloomed by then. I read this on the U of M HSOforum. Anyone else every hear that?

They said the same thing on one of the gardening segments on the news the other day. Had never heard that before.

We put down pre-emergent for close to 1,000 customers and it usually takes about 6 weeks so we can't worry about soil temps and some short window to work with etc. Maybe depends on the type and brand of product being used (I'm not too familier with standard store bought products) but I know with Dimension which is what we use you can apply it up to 8 weeks before germination and it also will take care of newly germinated crabgrass as well. We have never had a problem with crabgrass which is nice.

You should probably educate yourself a bit before making rediculas comments. The product we use protects for 4 months and like I said we have never had a problem with crabgrass in over 15 years of service.

If you are buying a product that only prevents crabgrass for a couple weeks you may want to dig a little deeper in your wallet because you will have some issues. wink

Also for those waiting for proper soil temps for germination. Put down a pre-emergent before germination. You want the product absorbed into the soil prior to germination so when it does germinate its toast. If I were buying a product from the store I would shy away from one only allowing a small window for application and needing to be applied only when crabgrass was possibly germinating......

I have never really worried about the soil temperature as long as it is frost free and no chance of it freezing again. Depends on the product I guess but not sure if the ground freezing after the application even does anything but why spread if freezing is a possibility?

The thing I watch out more for is rain. IMO rain trumps irrigation with positive effects but too much rain is certainly not good at all.

Personally I wait until the soil temp is 55 for a couple days and then put it down. The stuff I use is cheap, has a somewhat short window but it works if you do it at the right time.

Fisherofmen is right, there is some really good but more expensive products out there. The nice thing about only having to worry about your own yard is you can buy the cheaper stuff, put it down at the right time and not have any issues.

Since I have you here, what about broadleaf killer? I bought some scotts plus two. When is good time to put it on? stuff is starting to get pretty green, and will be off to the races once the last snow melts.

Maybe next week, depending on weather? in Rochester.

I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in...but here's my .02

I believe as long as you hit them before the dandelions turn to the puff ball stage (which is usually once the temps are in the 80's) you should be good. Broadleaf weed killers work best when the weeds are actively growing.

The exact timing/temp...I have no clue. smile

Since I have you here, what about broadleaf killer? I bought some scotts plus two. When is good time to put it on? stuff is starting to get pretty green, and will be off to the races once the last snow melts.

Maybe next week, depending on weather? in Rochester.

There is no exact time to spray for broadleaf weeds.

The U's extension service recommends right after Labor Day for the best results, right before Memorial Day for second best results.

Again, these are "average" years and "generalizations".

If you only do it one time per year, do the fall application.

Also, it used to be recommended to do a late fall application (mid-October). Now it's recommended to do a mid August / late September application. At least this is what I was told in Certification Classes last week put on by the MPCA.

I am getting ready to apply my pre-emergent and am wondering if I should mow the law for the first time and then apply. Or apply and then mow after 4-5 days?

Whatever the label of your product says.

Now, with that said, a pre emergent doesn't work by sticking to the leaves, so you can do either.