• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hi all, just so excited about it I had to make a post.

Brought home a new Beretta Xtrema 3.5 yesterday. I went to Gander with the intention of picking a 10 gauge (I've been shooting 12 gauge 3" at geese for 3 years, and I need more power).

Well, after about 1.5 hours of standing there talking to the gunsmith and 3 other customers buying guns or other stuff, I was convinced that a 12 gauge 3.5" using Hevi Shot was well sufficient.

Held the Xtrema, and I was sold. This gun is so comfortable and well balanced...I can't wait!

boiler, I'll have to do that.

I've hunted Laq qui parle for the past 3 years, it's great fun.

You guys have some serious goose populations in the SW!

Hopefully I down this gun's first goose on the morning of Sept 5, my first outing for Early goose.

Kpj5,

Great news on the new tool. One thing I would make sure of is shoot the gun a little before opening day. The springs can be tight and the action may not be used to opening far enough to eject the long shells.

Also if you go right away and shoot light loads the action may be too stiff to cycle them until you shoot a little and it loosens up. Nothing like going grouse hunting in the afternoon and having the perfect shot at a double and the first shot does not eject. Did that one myself.

Great gun. I hope to get something like that someday.

You should have no problem shooting any load right away. I would recommend cleaning it before your ever shoot though. I had a rep tell me a year or two ago that the grease on the guns (when they are shipped) can be the culprit. It has a higher coefficient of friciton than gun oil.

I've shot berettas for a number of years and love 'em! Good luck to ya!

Thank for the advice guys, I will give it a good take-down cleaning before going out.

As far as shooting before the opener, that might be a little tough as the public land near me does not allow "target or indescriminate" shooting, and the nearest range is quite a drive.

However, my plan is to use 3.5" mags for the opener, hopefully the have the force to push that spring back even if it's a little tight still.

smallies24,

Good point I forgot aboutthe factory lube. If it dries up you are right the action will get very sticky.

I have friends that have the SBE and they had similar issues new out of the box but a couple of boxes of shells made a big difference along with cleaning.

I bought one two years ago, best gun I have ever shot, it just feels good on the shoulder. I used it for goose hunting as well as duck. I shot 3.5 steel BBB for goose loads last year and I didn't have a problem whatsoever with knockdown power. I could only imagine using hevi-shot or something in a 3.5". Watch out feathered freinds.

On a side note, does anyone that owns one know where to tap into the stock to screw in a sling bracket?

Great choice of on shotguns. This fall will be my third year hunting with my xtrema!!! A far as the spring being stiff when new, mine never had a problem in fact the first thing I shot through it was 3 1/2's. You can staggerlow base followed by the long ones or vice versa and it will load flawlessly every time.
As far as tapping the stock for the sling mount- first remove the butt plate w/ a flat screw driver slipped under the metal ring and slide the ring out and the gel pad should slide right off. Now look down the stock and you will see that it is pretty much hollow, but the bottom edge of the stock is extra thick down the uderside of the stock, anywere on here you can drill, I started about 3 drill bit sizes smaller than the screwuntill I found the size that worked, take your time when doing this so you get it sraight an extra set of eyes is always a plus, Good luck