• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trim & Tilt

TruthWalleyes

I just had a mid 80's evinrude outboard rebuilt. It hasn't ran for about 3 years. I've noticed the Trim & Tilt is really slow and most likely needs the air bleeded out and refilled with oil. Can you give me procedure or adivce on doing this?

Pics below.

Thanks.

full-26433-32343-img_20130421_114317_648

full-26433-32344-img_20130421_114324_497

I did notice a little oil on the shaft of the cylinder which means a seal is most likely in need of replacing. However, i bet this could be temporarily fixed by adding more oil to the reservoir.

Think a 90w would be appropriate oil for this application?

I use tranny fluid on my mercury, and I believe that is what it says on the side of the unit. But most of the time you raise the motor as high as it can go, then just top off reservoir. I can't really tell which port you use though.

The fill plug is the one in the top picture, right side of reservoir. It's the large straight slot screw.

They actually make a TNT fluid. Not to say that's the only thing that should go in there, but it's fairly important to use the same type of fluid that's in there. Depending on whether or not its been added to or changed previously, you could use TNT or even power steering fluid.

If you were to drain it and refill, you'd have to take the lines off and let as much fluid drain as possible. I guess what I would do is raise the motor and lock it in that position. Remove the top line, loosen the bottom line and slowly lower the engine. You will obviously need a large pan for this. Then once it's down you can cycle the system to push more fluid out. Remember to protect and keep flared ends clean. You can then reinstall lines and refill and purge by cycling the system, topping off in the full up position. This will take some time and patience.

Stick with this stuff Steve since its what's in there. You might be able to find the pints with the tip you can cut off. If not, use a tip from a gear lube bottle if you have one. You can also use an oil can.

full-13203-32594-image.jpg