• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bow Maintenance

Hey all,

Hoping you can help a relative rookie with a bow maintenance question. I bought my first bow four years ago. I shoot it often, take good care of it, hunt quite a bit. It's as accurate as it was four years ago, but I'm curious how often you bring your bows in just to have them tuned up and checked out. Am I due to bring it in to the bow shop? And what will they do with it when I bring it in?

Thanks!

Your about due for a new set of strings and cables and that's about it. I give mine a spray of graphite powder and replace the strings and cables every 4 years unless something goes wrong.

Not familiar with much maintenance on my bow besides a little string wax. I'm shooting a 3 yr old bow that doesn't see a ton of use but is well taken care of. Could you explain what the graphite powder does and how to apply it? Anything else some of you more avid archers can help us out with?

A good rule of thumb I was told by a great bow shop was to replace the strings and cables every two years if you shoot a lot with it. But if you dont just check for wear spots on the string and cables around where they run on the cams. Waxing the strings and lubing the cams is also good.

Not familiar with much maintenance on my bow besides a little string wax. I'm shooting a 3 yr old bow that doesn't see a ton of use but is well taken care of. Could you explain what the graphite powder does and how to apply it? Anything else some of you more avid archers can help us out with?

Sorry I wasn't clear,I use graphite powder in the limb pockets and on the wheel axles for dry lubrication to keep it from making noise.

You can use oils to but they can get sticky in colder weather and also will collect dirt and debris.