• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Get them Geese off my lawn

Sea Hage

Anyone have a cure for Goose [PoorWordUsage], I've tried a 2' chicken wire fence at the waters edge and it works for awhile, till the little ones get about 3 weeks old then they will make a trail thru the tall grass anyway. I thought they would not go in the tall grass for fear of predator but they must think different than me. I've tried a radio , a owl decoy, a scare crow sitting in a lawn chair, They like all that stuff, heck one day I came home and the Scare Crow the Owl & the Geese were all dancing to Bob Segar on the radio !!

The 870 idea gets expensive what with them being Federal Birds, The dog would work but he's with me at the store all day so when we get home he runs over to the geese and thanks them for all the goodies they left in the yard, the he samples some of them then he pukes!!

My neighbor at the lake has this problem. He used fishing line and it worked for a while. Then the geese figured out they could walk around the line on my property. The geese don't like my lawn since its not golf course quality(no underground sprinkler system. I thought about putting one in but realized then I would have goose ship to. They cover his entire lawn, but totally stay off mine. Kind of funny.

Try the coyote decoy. The soft pliable rubber ones sort of like the turkey decoys. They work fantastic. The more you use the better they work. Just move them around once a week.

Hope that helps.

They have a bunch of the coyote decoys in front of the Amsoil building in Superior and last year when I drove by there were hundreds of geese right next to the decoys.

I think the key is to MOVE the decoys. Any wild animal is going to get used to something if its in the same place every day. I would suggest getting multiple decoys to throw them off.

Coyote, Owl, one of those dog sillouettes you see, etc. Alternate what decoy is out there. Put them on a stake so they can move slightly with the wind.

Electric fence strung about 6 inches high. Flag it with that pink marking tape that you mark deer blood trails with. I use one of those 6 volt fences, its only about 200 hundred yards long, so it carries quite a jolt, I half expect to find a dead gosling under it. This year I'm putting a trail camera over it to check the results smile

I've done it the last several years on one of my corn and soybean plots that borders a big slough, no problems with geese. Kind of a pain to put up but with out it they'd eat half the soybeans off. When they get up a foot, I pull the fence.