• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody else tried this????
I've been trying this technique now for a couple of years. I've gotta be honest though--I'm not having much luck at it. I know that this could solve most of the problems we have with not having enough birds around--but man, I just can't get the hang of it. Like everybody else I admire them after the mutt brings em' back, then I typically take a few pictures. Here's where it gets tough--after I'm done photographing them--I throw em' back. None of them ever fly off though, so I make the dog go get em' then I throw em' again, but still they don't fly. I've even gone so far as to throw them way up in the air as hard as I can, but still they don't leave. It's at this point that I usually let them stay in the boat then I take em' home and eat em'. I remember once I threw a big greenhead back, and made the dog get out and chase him around--he made it to the table with red potatoes.
I know that this would be a good thing to do, so if any of you guys have any advice on how we can make this work, I would sure appreciate it.
Oh yeah, tried this technique on geese in the field too--It's the same dang thang though--you throw em up in the air, and then they just come right back down and lay there in the cornrows. It's like their trying to hide, but you know where there at--cause you just threw em' there. Them geese just ain't as bright as they think they are.
Catch and release boys--pass it on!

YOu gotta do it like I seen on a hunting show. Point the gun at them and say bang, assume you hit them that is the catch and then watch them fly away that is the release. Now the show I seen was with deer but I believe you could apply the same concept with ducks! Give it try!! Be more for me to hunt then!!

This solution can be a bit tricky and requires a little extra equipment but I find that it works great.
There are 2 sitaution I have come up with for catch-n-release on ducks and geese.
1) Get yourself a tank of helium and a bunch of ballons. Fill the ballons with the helium, then tie the ballons to the under side of the wings. For larger mallards and geese you will need bigger ballons, but for teal and woodies small ballons work wonders, usually 4 per bird. If you run out of ballons try condoms, I have a buddy who perfers to use condoms. I personally have not tried them.
2) This also involves helium. Shove the nozzle up the rectum of the duck or goose an inflate. The only problem here is, if you happen to get a body shot the helium will leak out and won't perform as well. The first couple of years you might have to train yourself to shoot your birds in the head and not the body like I did. Now I strickly shoot them in the head. This has a second advantage as the next duck hunter to shoot your released bird doesn't have to cahse them very far as they usually come straight down.
I'm sure there are other ways of using helium so if anyone out there has any experience with it please post a note.

I don't know but I've been using this stuff called steel shot. It works great for catch and release and my huntin partener swears by it (alot). You just shoot the bird and they fall down and either swim or fly away. Try it out.

Those are GREAT and FUNNY!
Now e-mail them off to the P.E.T.A. HSOforum.
And they think we don't care about animals. wink.gif

Ron

We had a meeting last night of the NoDak Shak Hunting Party and this topic came up. While most members liked my helium solution, several members did not want to carry a tank of helium into the swamp, understandable. So here are a couple of more solutions the group came up with
1) Carry along a few CO2 cartridges and insert in rectum of bird. Hold upright and puncture the cartridge.
2) One fellow carries a large version of a "wrist rocket" to launch the ducks skyward.
3) No this one is just plain foolish - If a tank of helium is too much to lug around I can't believe anyone would build a giant potato gun but one of the Wingnuts is going to try it this fall.
4) My personal favorite - to hell with catch and release - clean em', cook em', eat em'