• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trying not to be that guy at the landing

mrpike1973

hi you know the 'guy' opener morning decides to try to start his motor for the first time this year. holds up the landing when he cant start it. hee hee. well is it to soon to try to start my motors in a barrel of water or will i have trouble with freezing. i like to get them going just in case they need work. i can get them in soon i have a feeling with late ice it will be nuts at marine dealers thanks.

Don't worry about freezing. Plenty of people use their outboards late into freeze up or early in spring when it freezes. Just tip motor down to let water escape the prop, and you are fine. I would use muffs, they are cheap and easier to use. PS, don't worry about your hose anymore either, just unscrew when done and water will flow out, and the spigot is fine this time of year too.

Good luck!

I start mine with the flushing cups. To all, do not start your outboards with out waster to lube the water pump impeller. It will last longer and you could avoid trouble if you follow this simple rule.

Ran mine yesterday to see that all is well and that the water pump was pumping well.

I use to use the ear muff's but this year built a tank to put the motor in.

My motor will hardly pump any water with the muff's and one cannot tell if the pump is pumping well or worn as the water flow is so low.

In the barrel, just like in the lake.

I agree with above posters, fastest way to trash an impeller is to start the motor with no water to run through the pump. Trashes the vanes very fast.

Doesn't hurt to take the cables off the battery and emery paper them to get rid of any rust or corrision. Same with the trolling motor batteries, clean those connections to be trouble free on your first trip to the lake or river.

I test run everything and go over every seat bolt and anything else that looks like it could use a checking.

Just got done this am with the boat, motor and trailer. Everything has been tested, run and waxed.

2 weeks and off to the Rainy River.