• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lab Training

SAX

I have a 12 week old yellow lab and I have been looking into sending her to a 3 month training program around six months old. I am wondering if anyone was recommendations or advice on where to send her in the area? I am willing to spend $1500-2000.

I am currently working with a guy out of montgomery MN named Ralph Hayford. Has anyone heard of him or have any feed back on him? He seems like a great guy, I just dont know if his program is exactly what I am looking for. Ralph and I have introduced my pup to live pigeons and the blank pistol already.

I am looking for any advice or tips.

Thanks Guys

Just be very emphatic on what is your expectations of the dog when you talk to the trainer. Be thorough and talk in detail. SOme trainers excel at gun dogs, but would struggle to make trial dogs, some trial trainers will not fill a hole with a gun dog. Talk pricing, what he will work on, how many live birds, what the dog should be able to handle when he is done, further training, what you should work on after you pick up your dog etc.

6 months is most likely not where you will bring your dog in. I'd say closer to 8 months. Your dog will be teething at 6 months and one of the 1st things your trainer will most likely work on his forcing the dog. Darn near impossible when teething. So see what his thoughts are on that. Maybe he will run it through an obedience program and collar conditioning while it's teething....

I don't know of the trainer you are working with. Always feel free to ask for references. If he did a good job, the dog's owner will be happy to share that with you.

Good Luck!

Ken

one of my older friends used Ralph for all his labs for years. My friend has sinced passed away but his dogs were always well trained. My friend was really particular about pretty much everything in life but he was also a person who was a great judge of character. Based on all of that I'd suggest Ralph would be great and I've never met Ralph in my life.

Ken is pretty much spot on, only thing I would add is 3 monthes isn't a very long time to get much done, if everything goes well the dog may through the double T in that time frame but not much more. Now if your expectations are a dog that has been FF, CC and through basic OB doing simple marks then yes it can be done in 3 monthes but don't expect much more. I tend to think 6 monthes is a better time frame to have a huntable dog in the fall. And expect to pay 6 to 800.00 a monthe for a reputable trainer.

I had mine trained at Dokkens Oak Ridge Kennels in Northfield. They do intro to bird and gun at 5 months and that is a 2 week program and it was about $900 with birds. I also sent her for the Intermidiate Companion Gundog program at 8 months and that was a 10 week program. It was about $2600. It is more then you are looking to spend but I am very satisfied and to me worth it. I know several guys that save used Dokkens and all have been very satisfied!

Good Luck with the new pup!

I had mine trained at Dokkens Oak Ridge Kennels in Northfield. They do intro to bird and gun at 5 months and that is a 2 week program and it was about $900 with birds. I also sent her for the Intermidiate Companion Gundog program at 8 months and that was a 10 week program. It was about $2600. It is more then you are looking to spend but I am very satisfied and to me worth it.

Good Luck with the new pup!

Wow, knew he was high but.... Probably the best move Tom made was to get out of the Field Trial Game and train gun dogs..

I checked my paper work and forgot I had my dog stay an extra 9 days with some additional training due to my schedule. So the 10 week program was about $2100 with birds.

If you don't mind me asking, where was your dog at in it's training when it went in and what did the 10+ weeks include?? FF, CC, Daily Marks??

To be honest when she went to intro at 5 months other then being potty trained she really had no training. I could get her to sit but if I moved she did too. My main goal was to keep her active and bond because I knew I was sending her to training and I did not want to make any training mistakes. During intro she was worked on a check cord. When I picked her up the trainer told me that all I needed to do was get her "bird crazy" and work on her retrieving and to focus solely on that. He said that they would take care of everything else. It was a bit trying for the 2 months between training but even though she is an extremely active dog she did not get into any trouble chewing and stuff. By the time she went to the 10 week portion she was retrieving without a check cord. Still had a hard mouth though. Here is what I copied from their site as to what the training covered:

"This program is designed to give your canine companion one on one attention. We will establish on and off leash control of your canine companion. This will give you control of your canine companion both at home and in the field. We will establish a whistle recall and quartering skills.

We will force fetch your canine companion for a finish to heel delivery and hold. Pointing breeds will also work on pointing and whoa commands. Your key part in this program is to attend your three lessons so that you may establish team work between yourself and your canine"

I would say they covered all that and some. She completed the program last July and this was her first season she did far better then I expected. I do work with her EVERY day and I think that is as important as any training program.

It may not be worth it to some but for me it was the best choice and if I get another dog I would not hesitate to do it again.

Good Hunting!

Interesting, I have a buddy that has sold quiet a few puppy's to Tom for his puppy program, infact he sold 7 out of 10 to him from a bredding between my QAA dog and his MH female. He gets the puppy's back for the puppy course at 5 monthes, sounded like he really liked the puppy's from that litter. Tom contacted Bill and told him if we repeated it he would take all of them he could get his hands on, I kept one that litter and they were really nice trainable dogs. Pretty good program he has going there, at one time Tom was a good Field Trial pro.

Both my dogs parents were purchased through Tom and all the pups except mine and my brothers were sold through his puppy program. I got the pick of the litter for free because my good friends dog was the sire so as a stud fee he could keep it. ( he kept one from the previous litter) or Tom sells it with the rest and my buddy gets the $. Funny thing is I wanted the pup my brother took at first but my buddy who has a lot of experience with hunting dogs said I should take the one I did so my brother took my first choice and I ended up with a hunting machine unlike any most people have seen. Like the trainer said " you will almost always get a good dog if the line is good but not often do you get one like this. She is very special". My first question was " is that a good special or bad special" he said good special. Lol. He actually asked if I would be willing to sell her and take a free pup from a future litter he liked her so much. I don't know if he (trainer) always does it but he teared up on our final goodbye. My only regret is that I had her fixed. My wife was not AT ALL into me getting a dog to begin with so welping a litter was out of the question. I know about 5 guys that have taken pups from the litters and have hunted with all of them (2 were trained at Dokkens) and they are all great bird dogs. My dogs parents just did the "deed" so should have a new litter in a couple months. The Dam is a black and the sire is a chocolate. All the pups to this point have been blacks. Many in the line were champion/Hall of Fame dogs. Here is so the line for the sire: Storms Riptide Star/ Gusto's Foxy Lady - Dream Catchers Nothing To It(sire) /Nans Dools OD Won/Mariha Jade II/ Nan's Captain Morgan Ladymac - then the sire to mine is DCM Blizzard of Oz. The Dams line: Moon Rivers Magnum of CC/Sadie B of Cripple Creek - Waterfowl Dream of CC Candlewood Court Jester/JW's K-Cricket-K - Autums Flight Big Smoke then Dam to mine is CJ's Blazin Sundance.

I dont know if you are familiar with any of them but the line has produced some good dogs.

Check out Rick at Old Oak Retrievers in Blooming Prairie. No experience personally but I am getting a pup from Rick this spring and all my research suggests he is the real deal.

I have met and spoke with Rick already. My puppy is actually out of one of his Sires, Rockenhart Voyaguer "Sam" that was breed to a dam from KT british labs. Something about Rick actually made me and my wife feel wierd about him. He has an amazing setup and training facilities but something about him made us go the other direction. What litter are you getting a pup out of? I have spoke to several people that are really happy about the pups they have got from Rick. Good luck and let me know how everything goes.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Labs4me- I have spoken to a couple other trainers and one of the places I am really interested in wants the pup right around 6MO. The first month is all OB so that would give some more time for teething.

I have read Dokkens book and was happy with it. However, that is a little pricey for me. I think I can get better value with another trainer.

I would also recommend Rick Stawski of Fineline Retrievers in Milaca MN , excellent grounds some of the best dog water in the state. Iv'e had 3 different dogs with him for the winter trip and have been very happy. He mostly does young dogs and his main focus is on Field Trial dogs but does basics on gun dogs as well. Basics are basics no different if your doing them on a FT, HT or a gun dog. The time for a dog to start his formal training really depends on the dogs maturity level some are ready at 6 monthes some aren't. My youngest was really mature for her age and I was ear pinching her at 6 monthes she was ready, the male befor her was 8 monthes.

Rick is in Fla. until the Mid. of April, if you are interested shoot me a PM and I can give you his cell #...

Our deposit is down on del and fudge.

Rick and Andrea have been nothing but great since we first met them. That said, they are plenty busy and don't seem to always "work" for your business. The product is solid just not marketers. They can seem stand off ish so to speak.

Talking to lots of folks, Rick is great at mentoring inexperienced trainers and is very accessible.

My two cents.

I've been using Mike at Wings and Whistles near Watertown for about 20 years and he does a great job. Whoever you choose make sure you meet with them so you know what kind of training they are going to do. Good luck

Our deposit is down on del and fudge.

Rick and Andrea have been nothing but great since we first met them. That said, they are plenty busy and don't seem to always "work" for your business. The product is solid just not marketers. They can seem stand off ish so to speak.

Talking to lots of folks, Rick is great at mentoring inexperienced trainers and is very accessible.

My two cents.

I agree, he has a great product. I really like one of his dams named Molly. If we could have gotten in on one of her pups I would of pulled the trigger.