• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

One more hits the snow last night!

This has been one unbelievable year so far. I took out a buddy for his first hunt last night and I ended up dropping #21.

We hit 3 sets last night and #1 was the hot one. We set up overlooking a 80 acre field with our backs to the East and the wind from the ENE. The wind was a little iffy but I hoped the coyotes would come from the NW corner when they came in and cirle out in front of us. I had never actually walked this property and set up blind. My buddy was on my right with the caller out to the NW 30 yards. We could easily see the whole field with binoculars and everything looked good. I called for almost 30 minutes before I had one howl off to the NW. I called off and on for another 40 minutes before I saw one break from cover and come running in. I told my buddy there was one coming in fast and he and I tried to get on it. At about this time I realized we had set up on the East side of a hill when the coyote disappeared below us. I wasn't sure what to do and figured it was only a matter of time before it would wind us and probably run back out the way it came in. So I was looking past the caller when I see this dark spot pop up over the hill, runs up to the caller, then runs 10 feet and stops to look at it, I got on it as it stops for a second, I wait for him to shoot and he said he just got on it when over the hill it goes. I finally pick it up as it's hauling the mail out of there and couldn't get it in the scope before it got to the edge of the field again. I started doing challenge howls and nothing. We're sitting there talking about how we just blew that one and who would have thought we needed a shotgun when we could see for a 1/2 mile. I kept scanning with the binoculars and looked to the right and here comes another one in from the North. It's out there about 240 yards when it stops. I ask my buddy if he's on it and he's says take it. I pulled the trigger and down it goes. I'm not sure where I hit it but I had to finish it off when we walked up to it. Pretty nice male but too bad I couldn't get him his first. I'm thinking about cleaning the guns and putting them away for the year unless Mitchell wants to go out tonight, so good luck to anyone else still after them.

Rob

IMG_0049_zpsa4092050.jpg

Bigcloud,

There's a lot of good calibers that will get the job done but I like my 17 Remingtons. It's probably not the gun you want for doing a lot of shooting at prairie dogs because of the cost of shells but it will do the job on coyotes out to 250 yards with no problem. The .223 and .22-250 seem to be the most popular calibers and ammunition is more readily available. Pick one and give it a shot.

Rob