• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I am heading up to the Bdub to assist in a moose hunt and plan on bringing fishing gear and a single shot 12GA to pass the time.

Have heard there are indeed ducks up there to be shot. What can I expect to see? I can only shoot what we can eat as we are hiking/canoeing in 6 miles. Has anyone had any success with inflatable decoys? I think they look a little cheesy but I was considering buying a few to throw in the pack.

Also have heard from a few guys that there are species they do not recognize up there with distinguishing heads. I am guessing buffleheads?

Any insight would be great...thanks.

I live in ely and right now your gonna see a a few black ducks and a lot of divers..mostly ringnecks and bills. Try to find some rice on whatever lake your staying on and youll find ducks other than mergansers....you will have quite a few sawbills aroud thoe

Thanks for the help guys. I was thinking hooded mergansers as well(they're about as strange as they come)and you're right you'd be better off serving up a meal of the swamp bottom itself as opposed to a merganser!

Early Saturday morning we'll be heading up the echo trail. I can't remember the name of the portage but we'll be heading almost straight north up to Lake Agnes. About 6 miles of canoe/portaging.

No kidding...hunting pressure should be at a minimum. I'm a scrappy guy, but I don't plan on hauling in a bag of deeks so it is likely we'll jump shoot any that we get. The main priority is the moose hunt so I have to be sure to get a few miles from the hunting sight and do some scouting for the hunting party, but if I happen to run accross some ducks, grouse, walleye great!

Sounds as if there's some divers up there. I bet some of those unidentifiable ducks may also be ruddy's or goldeneyes. Most people don't know what they look like.

------------------
"When the hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20' closer to God"
-Fred Bear