• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How young can you start a Lab???

Quick question for some one with knowledge.
We recently got a Yellow Lab pup (11wks)for our eleven year old, and he wants to teach her to retrieve and so on, how young is to young and are the first commands to start with the basics, sit stay come and so on? I would like to get her to at least flush birds if possible or even retrieve, just want to get a little insight from someone who may have stared their dog in this direction, I went out yesterday and bought him a basic dog book that explains the sit and stay and so one, once he accomplishes this then will it be time to move into the next step?

------------------
Good Luck To All, Wormburner!
Buy a trailer,help support my fishing habit! ***********************

I'm no expert, but I know puupy kindergarden they start them as young as 6 weeks,
but not really sure what they teach you and the dog, my other dog I never took to the kindergarden, I took her to the next class up when she was a few months old, and then its your basic obedience, which as you may already know, should be mastered first before the other.
I did have a trainer also tell me when you start taking them BOTH out hunting to besure an bring the younger one with by itself too later on, so it doesn't become so dependant on the older one.

I think by nature, she should retrieve back to you, which she does and i belive when you toss something short for her you should have a leed on here to help her bring it back to you so she won't wonder off, we started her on walks in the woods and she holds by your side when you stop. I guess we are trying little things with her and so far she seems some what smart and catches on, I just don't want to rush the process and have it all be to much for her to retain at a young age. I planned to get the basics down and then go forward from there, so any info is helpfull.

Not sure which book you have but the Richard Wolters water dog/gun dog books have a lot of good information for starting out a pup.
Obedience training can start immediately with name, sit, come and then stay. Retreiving can also start right now with short sessions. Try and find a puppy sized canvas dummy and do the practice in a hallway with the doors closed. This way the dog has only one direction to go with the dummy. As you progress to outside the lead is a good idea to be able to maintain control should the pup's attention wander. Keep teh sessions short 5-10 min and always end on a good retrieve/positive note.

You can get started right away.
If you want to play with retrieving minimize any chance of the pup running away with the dummy. A dead end hallway works good to start retrieving since the pup can't go anywhere but back to you. Call the pups name out as you throw the dummy. Once its picked up use a lot encouragement to get the pup to run back to you. Instill the fact that the dummy isn't a chew toy by taking it away as soon as the pup come back to you. Use a command as you take the dummy away. Keep these sesions short, fun and use no discipline. When its quiting time put the dummy out of site and reach.

Get the come, sit, stay mastered then move onto healing. Start to increase the distance on the hallway retrieves and then move to the outdoors. Don't jump ahead on the training and remember you can always back up if things aren't going right.

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 09-08-2003).]

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

You can start puppy kindergarten at 6 weeks.

Keep it fun and always give commands in situations you know it will obey. Keep it playful. My 4 month old pup is up to blind retrieves. If you have a lab, some have a tendency to drop the dummy, that can be a little tricky.

There are lot of tips to cover. Might be best if you got a book and read through at least the early stages of training as soon as possible. "Water Dogs" by Wolters as pointed out above is helpful.

Rick you might want to clarify where your dog is at with his blind work for the newcomers to the training of a dog. He might be doing some site blind work or lining to a pile but I doubt very seriously he is doing actual blind work. We wouldn't want mislead the new trainers that dogs can or should be doing blind retreives at 4 months.
It is a process that takes time. 3 handed casting, lining to the pile, maybe some forcing to the pile, then start your T work then the double T.
A dog can't actually do a blind retreive until he knows how to handle.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Duckbuster,
you are correct, he is by no means finished on blind retrieves. He does line to pile and he is moving along with his preliminary hand signals.

I did say "he is up to blind retrieves" which he is. He does have a ways to go yet.

Thanks Duckbuster for pointing thast out.