• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Castle or Yetti

bassNspear

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bass N Spear,

nope, the ceiling to. they normally fiberglass the ceiling but i made them foam it. living 20 miles from the factory i stopped by an checked on the progress to ensure the ceiling was foamed.

the foam stiffened up the the ceiling considerably.

after having a rubber floor i would NEVER have carpet again. after drilling holes shammy the floor and its dry in 5 minutes.

Yesterday I crawled underneath the 07 Dreamshak and found the black paint on the steel frame to look brand new.

Trailer manufacturers have been making aluminum trailers for many years. The torque going up and down over many years of use may cause issues though.

Most all aluminum snowmobile trailers are subject to salt and you still see 10+ year old ones on the road.

I own a YETTI 6.5 x 16 and love it!!!! very light weight. Early ice i can pull it with my 4 wheeler with no problem. Ice castle dealers are always talking about the Yetti's alum cracking ??? Mine is a 2010 and I have NO PROBLEMS. Its been on many trips to RED, LEECH, MILACS and is going to DEVILS LAKE this coming weekend. All Yetti's have different interiors because the factory doesn't finish them the dealerships has them finished by their own local cabinet shops. You can buy them stripped and insulated ready for you to finish yourself. My fishing buddy has a ice castle and says he will never buy another one, his frame is rusting and the screws holding the diamond plate on are rotting off.

If you ever look @ a YETTI and Ice Castle look @ the difference between the stone guard!!!! Ice Castle is PAPER THIN and YETTI is close to 1/8" thick.

I have owned many trailers thru the years and living in MN with all the SALT on the roads I would never own a steel trailer.

unless ice castle has changed their way this is what you WILL encounter with them

Very thin wall tubing

axle shaft very short and welded to that thin wall

Rust out quick

I broke an axle and the closest place to fix it 4 miles away had Ice Castle axles in stock (hello)

They could use a bit thicker cable from manufacturer

The insides are great. Dont know what people are wanting but they are Eye candy.

I wish they would beef up the frames and powder coat them because once the frame rusts out guess what??!! bye bye

What year castle? The new ones have the same gauge tubing as a lodge, according to youtube. Looked like rhino lining on the frame to me also. Will have to measure axles to compare that. They are not using the same frame that they used to.

I just had the same reservations about ordering an ice castle. After looking them I decided to get the 21' RV with the berkon hydraulic frame. The berkon frame comes coated, is very well built and it pulls great down the road. They built mine the way I ordered it with spray foam insulation, rubber floor, auto tracking tv satellite, and a couch in front instead of the extra dinette. I have used it the last two weekends on Red, LOWT and I very pleased. None of the other manufacturers had a layout that was close to what we were looking at because we wanted also wanted to use it as a camper.

I have a 2010 castle 8x20 with the berkron frame. The frame is what makes that house. Yes the hydraulic frame is spendier up front but it is worth every penny. Now when it comes to the interior on my house that is another situation. Cheaply done and Ive had enough of it. This summer will be a total tear out and I will finish it myself this time around. If you are thinking of a 20footer you will have to go castle out of those two choices.Yetti doesn't make one that large, do they? Good luck

If you are going to tow long distances, or fish with 3+ people most of the time, my opinion would be the 21' with tandem axles. There is a huge towing advantage with tandem axles. Mine tows as good as a 2 place open snowmobile trailer or aluminum fishing boat.

If you'll fish with 3 or less, and fish more local, the 16' would be fine.

It may sound like 4-5' isn't all that much difference, but there is a lot more interior space. I was in a 16' Ice Castle this weekend, and it was pretty cramped compared to my 20'.

Weight difference is probably about 4400-4500 pounds vs 5200-5400 pounds. Should be able to tow either with an ATV.

im going ot buy a ice castle.

Just a matter if im going to go 16 or 21

Whats everyones thoughts?

The 16' looked big enough when we checking them out but decide the 21' would be a better choice in the long run. We had 4 people and gear in the 21' this weekend and there was tons of room to move around. For awhile 5 of us were fishing in there with no problems. Like mentioned above the tandem axle house pulls nicer then any other trailer I have pulled. The gas mileage with a 1/2 ton Chevrolet is a little under 10 mpg. The bad part about the 21' is the frame does drag getting off the access on Lake of the Woods because it is pretty steep.

I don't have a wheel house, but i have fished out of many of them... I have a few questions:

Why don't they use galvanized steel and then rhino line it? I know that the yetti is $5k more, but it seems that MOST issues with the $5k cheaper house is just the frame/rust. The cost of galv steel and rhino lining does NOT offset a $5k price difference. If weight is the issue, why dont they Galvanize steel the outside/main frame "BOX" and use alluminum for the grid? It would be lighter than they use now, yet the main stress would be on galvanized steel "outer box frame". I have seen guys torque the heck out of houses that are froze in, i think this is where alot of damage is done.

I guess what im saying is...Aluminum frame (no rust and is light weight) with a galvanized rhino coated outer frame box (No rust and added strength), which could or could not include the tongue. If you didnt use cheap/few bolts, these could be connected and the connections would never be a weak spot. If they did it right, the steel would maybe be 1-2 inches lower than the "alluminum grid" so that the frame freezing in would be mostly on the steel= no alluminum welds breaking.

Nothing is going to make up for Micheal Andreti driving over ice ridges with the trailer in tow...but most of you say you take care of your stuff but still end up with broke welds or rusted frames at some point. I dont think you have to pay $5k to fix this issue and then be trading strength off for cracked welds anyway.

We put a man on the moon 40+ years ago, i think we could make an ice house that can handle a minnesota frozen lake and some gravel roads without falling appart in 15 years.

(I say this right before leaving work..I drive a 1979 Chevy Capris classic that has lasted longer than alot of people that are driving next to me on the highway, funny how it still has NO rust and original EVERYTHING except rubber and gas.)

My 8x20 with steel frame, aluminum stud walls/roof, aluminum siding double axle hydro drop weighs in at 4,650 lbs.

Didn't have any issues pulling the house this Winter with the atv. With the two 30 lb tanks empty with a big breath I can lift the tounge.

When your 8 or 8.5 wide and 16+ feet long the tandem axle is the only way to go, especialy if you have the barn doors or cargo ramp.

My house pulls easier than my father in laws old 6.5x14+v single axle ice castle.

I think the biggest Yetti makes is a 16 footer single axle but could be wrong.