• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter Sportsman Caddy

FISHINGURU

Has anyone found a way to use the Sportsman Caddy in the older style Otters or the Canvas Crafts?

I know you can buy the Cross Link Seat Rail but I'm not a fan of that design but I like the Caddy alot...any ideas?

Or if not the Caddy any other products or DIY's that are similar that would work without the cross link?

I wasn't so sure I would like the crosslink design, but I put it in my Canvas Craft any way and now I wouldn't be without it. It frees up a lot of space in the sled for your auger heater and such. It takes a little while to decide how you want to pack everything but once you get a system down you are set.

I put the cross bar in my CC years ago and I can now also use the nice Otter swivel, sliding black padded seat and also my Caddy.

I have no issue packing in my heater, 5# gas tank, 2 rod bags, minnow pail, set and seat bracket, ice scoop and numerous other items.

Yes, the bar is there but I still can pack in all the stuff I could if it was not.

In the bottom of my caddy, I have a battery for all my lighting as I have all the lights run to this caddy with toggle switches to run each string.

My auger goes on the auger rack of the snowmobile or 4 wheeler.

This insulated Canvas Craft portable with the Otter tub, Sportsmen Caddy and Otter swivel, sliding seat has to be the best portable set up and the most durable on the market today, bar none.

I like that idea of the kickstand that sits in the groove so it is extra sturdy.

I find the exact opposite with the crosslink design, it gets in the way and takes up space. How can adding a bar that runs down the center of your sled free up space?

The problem with the kickstand is that you will have to remove the caddy when transporting. You have nothing locking it in place. I put my caddy on my sled and have never removed it. I can still tilt it up and down to get at the bottom of the sled. I have a double flip shelter and I can leave the seats and caddy in place on the rail and still get the shelter folded up and travel cover on. That leaves the entire sled for storage.

The Resort model is a beast of nature, that's the same as the Canvas Craft with the Large sled. I just owned one for a few years and sold it because it's such a tank, it really is the cadillac of all shacks though. Worst part about them is they don't fit in a standard truck you need the 8ft box and they get heavy fully loaded especially with the NorpacR2.

I been borrowing an Otter all decked out with the crosslink system, caddy, rod holders, ect, but it's the medium cabin. Maybe I think it's such a pain because I'm used to such a big shack that had tons of space now I'm borrowing one that feels so tiny and has an added bar running down the center making it seem even smaller.

The Caddy has been sweet though, I like it and also the rod holders. I'm about to order me a new Canvas Craft Magnum and I'm tryin to decide how I want to deck it out. I liked the seating system I had in my Canvas Craft, when I took them off and laid them sideways in the sled they hugged right up against the sides. It took up no space and I still had a wide open sled with alot of room for all my gear.

I'm thinking the crosslink wouldn't seem to take up as much room in the magnum as it does in the medium cabin. I'm still kickin around all my options I'm not totally against the crosslink but I haven't been sold on it either. I am sold on the Caddy and the rod holders though lol