• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frustrated!!

TruthWalleyes

I made the mistake of buying a bunch of chubby darters after seeing amd reading on here. Only caught a few on them and my Dad swears by them.

Darters really have their time and place, I have yet to catch a single fish on my darters lol. Maybe I just dont use them enough? Tried it on Red and LOW and no fish would touch it. It does draw fish in.

That may hold true to you Dtro, but I remember scores of Slender Spoons being available at stores over the years untouched.

Well, they might be selling some more lures, but to say that NOBODY gave them a second thought is complete Bee Ess, and its not just me.

I bet this article is 6 or 7 years old...

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/fishinfo304.html

I can find dozens of examples like that.

5 years ago when asked about his favoritelure that one guy Northlander (another nobody I guess) smile says

"Either a Blue Fox Tingler in silver/chart (no longer made) or a Slender Spoon in gold with glow tape."

Jigging spoon technology is not fricken rocket science. It's a pc of metal and a hook. Some are painted, some have flashy tape, silver, gold, etc and some days on some lakes (maybe all day maybe for 5 minutes) one color or style outfishes the other. You can have every kind offered in your 50# box of lures or a hand full of old staples. If you can fish you can fish and it will show. There's so many more factors than what lures are in your box. 99% of the 'new' stuff is made to catch the fisherman more than the fish.

I know one muskie guy with two yard barns full of nothing but lures lining the walls (my uncle) and I also know a retired muskie guide who has sold or given away everything but about 15-20 lures he KNOWS catches just as many fish as when he had hundreds- and he catches just as many fish now as then and documents each one.

There's RARELY any magic lure like everyone is trying hear about and go out and buy. The main thing is getting off the couch and having a line in the water. That's the #1 factor every time.

and Andy, I've seen the pictures of your gear, by the looks of it you are much more of a "hardcore" ice angler than I am. smile

LOL laugh ... Shhh! Dont tell that to my wife. I've been stashing extra cash to fund my addiction. Also hiding new ice fishing gear lately so that she dont take notice. I'll be in deep deep doo doo if she ever finds out. She's already thinking im spending too much time on HSO. grin

Since I cant afford the big stuff I spend my hard earn cash on the little stuff or stuff that benefits me the most. I would love to own a big truck, a wheel house, etc. but cant. So I spend my cash on what counts the most and thats my gear. smile

I made the mistake of buying a bunch of chubby darters after seeing amd reading on here. Only caught a few on them and my Dad swears by them.

I haven't knocked the socks of the fish either with them but I also don't give them much play time. I will have to say they worked NOTICEABLY well on URL one year. When the flasher stayed blank too long I'd toss one down and start ripping it. Shazamm, the fish showed up. It didn't catch em all but the ones it did catch were my biggest fish for the trip. The rest got hooked on mine and my buddies other lines before they left. grin

Slenders are the same for me. In the box and used but not abused. If you don't start catching fish on the new bait after awhile, the old reliables come back into play. If you do bust em right away you suddenly have a new confidence bait.