• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum Question

eyedr

So I know I have busted some chops on here about marcums but it was really all in good fun. I have a humminbird 55 that im not real impressed with and I am looking to sell it and get something different. I want something with bottom lock that I can use for summer use and I like the flat screen on my hbird. My only hang up with the marcum lx6 is the longevity of it. Its basically a computer and I have not had computers last more than 5 or 6 years. If it would crash or something would fry, what kind of warranty do they have and if something were to happen outside of the warranty how hard would it be to get it fixed. I just don't want to spend $600 bucks and then have something crash or fry in it and have to buy a whole new unit, that wont be in the cards for me. That being said the only flat screen vex has with bottom lock is the same price as the lx6 and can only read to 60 feet. Any input would would be great.

I am a new marcum owner this year and i had the exact same concerns. But then i started thinking open water... they are all flat screen devices as well, and i have had one of them for 5 years now...

i can see your argument about computers, however, there is so much a person can do on their own to screw up a pc/mac (to be fair)

i have seen people with computers over 10 years old that work better than a computer thats 2 years old.

basically the evolution of flat screens has begun if an update is needed, (marcum offers them free online)

I see no difference in comparing the "computerness" of an lx6, 7 or 9 to any of the lowrance or humminbird traditional open water units.

Overall they are very stable and last many years. Easily updatable via downloads, etc.

If you are really looking for something to excel in open water, you may want to consider buying one of them than one of the new marcums since they would include GPS for the same price.

But as to your concerns I dont find them being fragile at all. Heck there are no moving parts until the dial flashers. Most issues are resolved with a software update which YOU can do versus taking the old school units in for repair.

I see no difference in comparing the "computerness" of an lx6, 7 or 9 to any of the lowrance or humminbird traditional open water units.

Overall they are very stable and last many years. Easily updatable via downloads, etc.

If you are really looking for something to excel in open water, you may want to consider buying one of them than one of the new marcums since they would include GPS for the same price.

But as to your concerns I dont find them being fragile at all. Heck there are no moving parts until the dial flashers. Most issues are resolved with a software update which YOU can do versus taking the old school units in for repair.

X2 I agree. Well said, I dont find a fragile issue either.

And to those who think the digital sonars are too hard or difficult to learn. You can turn on TV and navigate its menu buttons & remote controller right? If you can do that you can operate a Marcum LX6 & 7.

I don't think it is fair to compare them to computers. The most common part of a computer to break is the hard drive. Software is probably more common but that's not parts. I don't know the internals of these marcums but I'd bet cash money that they do not have a mechanical hard drive in them like a computer.

A better comparison would be open water fishing electronics. I'm pretty sure that bow mounted units take some serious abuse at times.

I wouldn't compare the vex flat screen fl-22 to a lx unit. That is apples and oranges... The lx 5,6,7 and 9 are light years ahead. The 6,7,and 9 are no different in durability as open water units. Built to run a long time and upgrades available. That alone is gold. For the same price a fl22"hd" vs lx-6 easy choice to me... good luck